1996 vs 1997 4t60e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 vs 1997 4t60e

Hi everyone. ive been searching the internet far and wide. but here is my question
    Car... 1996 Grand Prix GTP, 3.4 DOHC with 4t60e, leather hud sunroof, Every option available for said car. i got it for $300 canadian, problem, the transmission is gone. moves in first gear, wont go in reverse or any other gear.

solution. rebuild myself. while possible its a pain and ive never done one. so rather not do that at the moment

second solution. i found a 1997 3.4 dohc cutlass supreme transmission thats been rebuilt already from gm with 10000km for $200.

well from what ive found online there are many different variations of these transmissions and wiring harnesses and such that i dont even know what will work in this car. i just want it on the road since ive never driven it yet.

so in finally. will the 97 transmission fit and work in the car (going to be doing swap myself)

I've never seen a 97 CS with a 3.4 that wasn't a swap.... as far as I'm aware, the only LQ1 applications in 97 were the monte carlo and lumina, both of which received the 4T65 in place of the 4T60E. I'm going off of knowledge of the US market though, Canada may have got them for 97 as well.

do you have pictures of the potential replacement? especially of the main connector area or where the vacuum modulator would be?
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I sadly don't have any pictures of this transmission. All I have is the kijiji article. I emailed the guy asking what transmission it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

hmm.... that's certainly less than comprehensive.

easiest method of determining which it is would be the main connector, on a 4T60E, it's something like 7 pins in a circular pattern, with a 4T65, it's rectangular with a lot more pins, something 15 or 20, I think.

alternatively, if there is a vacuum modulator hanging off of the front of it, it's definitely not a 4T65.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Thanks. I emailed asking what it was ill send an email asking for the connector plug too

Comment

Well I emailed the guy asking for a model or pictures. All I got back was "it should work in your car" worth the risk or let it be? It's 2.5 hours from me so can't really just go look at it

Comment

hmm...... based off of what I know was produced, I would say it could either be a 97 car the originally had a 3100 and had a 3.4 swapped in, or is actually a 96 car.

both of which would be 4T60E units, but with a slight difference in final drive ratios(3100 would be 3.33, 3.4 would be 3.43).

going off of the seller's response, sounds janky.
              Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

I'm not worried about final drive overly. I have hp tuners and can reprogram the Ecm to fix the speedo. Maybe offer the guy 150

Comment

That would be a paper wight...

They ended production in jan of 97 so its possible. there are a few easy ways to tell them apart.
                  The 96 trans plug faced forward. The 97 faced the drivers side and are way more pins.
                  Could look to see if it has a vacuum modulator going to the trans on the drivers side. 4t65's don't use one.
                  Could look at the front exhaust manifold to see if it has the air injection pump line or not. It was deleted for 97.
                  The 96 o2 sensor plug under the the intake arm is a rectangular connector. 97 used the square plug style.
                  The 96 uses a different drivers side axle then the 97 did. Spline count was different.
                  The 96 ecu has less memory and can not be re flashed with 97 bin file.
                  Trans range switch has one extra wire in 97.
                  The 97 uses a hi-low fan speed system requiring an extra relay added in on the drivers side fuse block.
                  In 96 the four pin down stream 02 had a plug going to the main engine harness sitting on the pass strut tower. 97 it was relocated to under the brake master cylinder. Now in a 8 pin plug with the 2 extra wires for going to the new fan hi-low relay on drives fuse block.
                  Last edited by Dave96z34; 10-29-2015, 12:25 AM.

96 Z34 3.4 SC DOHC Getrag, 284 5sd manual transmission, stage 3spec clutch, 97 engine, 97 pcm, S3 intercooler 1 of 1 Roots SC LQ1 in the world 8.5 psi.

Comment

Working...
                  X