Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 3.1 cold start issue

Hello!

Apologies for the double post, I posted this in the "computer" section as well... just don't know my way around here yet...

1991 Lumina with 100,000 kms on it. In cool/cold weather, it needs to crank and crank prior to finally catching and starting, then may stall a few times. Needs to idle for a couple minutes, and then it's off to the races.

I'm thinking coolant temp sensor but I'm open to suggestions from those more familiar with these systems. There is no other indications of fuel pressure problems, so I'm thinking the pump is ok. Filter is new. Warm starts and re-starts are no problem at all.

Thanks!

Brent.

Nobody? I live in Florida, so I'm not much use from the practical experience point. I have a '99 so I can't give advice from inspection either. Gummed up fuel system components out of the question?

Comment

You could have a fuel pressure bleed-off during cold starts. Try and get ahold of a fuel pressure gauge and check it with the key on and engine off (there's a test valve at the fuel rail next to the intake manifold). It should jump up to 40-50 PSI and hold steady. If it drops off, then you either have a leaking injector or a problem at the pump/sender assembly.
      Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
      3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
      Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
      2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
      TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

When was the last time the spark plugs and wires were changed? Could also be a fuel pressure. You could turn the key on until you hear the fuel pump shut off and then try to start the engine.

Comment

Working...
        X