Dumb head gasket question (Fel-Pro)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb head gasket question (Fel-Pro)

Which side up? Head gaskets usually have some kind of marking, i.e. "this side up"

Does the side with the Fel-Pro brand name go up? The last set was marked, and it was the side with the metal section between the cylinders.

Told you it was a dumb question!

Normally if there is no marking, the side with the Fel-Pro name goes up. I've been a mechanic for some 8yrs and this is also how I make my living. Thats what I normally do, just stick the gasket makers name up and slap'er back together. Just make sure all the holes line up too.

-Gary
    -Gary
    1983 Camaro 2.8l not much done yet
    1999 Chevy Prizm - typical bolt-ons

Comment

Originally posted by gsEnterpries View Post
      Normally if there is no marking, the side with the Fel-Pro name goes up. I've been a mechanic for some 8yrs and this is also how I make my living. Thats what I normally do, just stick the gasket makers name up and slap'er back together. Just make sure all the holes line up too.

-Gary
      Thanks, Gary. I wonder if it really matters?

Comment

I don't think it does, it's just one of those things that I've done over the years.

-Gary
        -Gary
        1983 Camaro 2.8l not much done yet
        1999 Chevy Prizm - typical bolt-ons

Comment

Yea my new set is the same way. No markings. I was planning to put the branded side up.
          1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
          1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
          Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I'm no pro, but I concur, lol.
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
            Originally posted by Jay Leno
            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Lots more dumb questions to come, as I'm finishing a job someone else started. All the sensors have been unplugged from the motor and everything else under the hood and I have no idea where they go, but I'll cross that bridge as soon as I get the motor back together.

Thanks everyone

Comment

Originally posted by SteveInMs View Post
                Lots more dumb questions to come, as I'm finishing a job someone else started. All the sensors have been unplugged from the motor and everything else under the hood and I have no idea where they go, but I'll cross that bridge as soon as I get the motor back together.

Thanks everyone
                Once its all together, most all of the sensors only reach to where they are supposed to go and they all have different connectors... Its pretty easy just takes some time.

S
                Shane "RedZMonte"
                2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
                1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
                -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
                2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
                1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
                1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
                1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
                1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by RedZMonte View Post
                  Once its all together, most all of the sensors only reach to where they are supposed to go and they all have different connectors... Its pretty easy just takes some time.

S
                  All the wires/harnesses have been bunched up by the fuse block. The guy (whoever he was was) was intending on pulling the motor/trans. Maybe unravel 'em and see where they'd naturally lay? I know what you mean, they only ran the wires as long as they had to and not a mm longer. I'm thinking the connectors are color coded, like light blue male to light blue female, and different shapes and number of conductors also. It just looks like such a pain the rear, and pretty confounding when you see the mess in all it's glory.

Comment

I put the logo up too on mine but have yet to start it.

Comment

Working...
                    X