Timing chain problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing chain problems

My dang timing jumped 2 teeth the other day and I replaced the thing but now can't get the truck to start.

I done everything by the book and was just gonna try to crank it to make sure everything was right real quick before I put the front back on the motor. It turns and turns but no fire.

I've done every possible thing to it that can be thought of with nothing. We thought I might have screwed up on the cam sprocket so swapped it timing mark up and down. Set cyl 1 at TDC, cam and crank lined up correctly, wires on cap correctly, and nothing.
    I've been playing with it for a week and can't get crap and out of options so does anybody got and suggestions? Its getting spark and fuel just won't crank.

Does the front cover and everything HAVE to be on it to fire up long enough to confirm I got the timing chain on right? The only sensor unplugged is the MAP and I know it'll crank up and run (poorly) without it but as said I'm not trying to drive it like this just making sure its right before I button it back up.
    87 3.4 4x4 blazer
    3 inch body lift, t-bar/shackle lift, 31x10.5s

Does the engine have compression? Maybe bent valves when chain slipped. Did you have the distributor out? Maybe it is 180 out of location.
    MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
    '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
    http://www.tcemotorsports.com
    http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

I would check for compression in all cylinders and double check that the rotor is facing #1 cyl at TDC on the compression stroke.
      Your local OBDII moderator

2000 Grand Am GT w/ WOT parts

Comment

Originally posted by CNCguy View Post
        Does the engine have compression? Maybe bent valves when chain slipped. Did you have the distributor out? Maybe it is 180 out of location.
        Yes it does so I'm 99% sure no bent valves. No the dizzy hasn't been out. I've tried changing out the plug wires to 180 out and even 90 out and still nothing.

Originally posted by sprucegagt View Post
        I would check for compression in all cylinders and double check that the rotor is facing #1 cyl at TDC on the compression stroke.
        Been done, compression is ok. Its an old motor so its nod great but should be ok.
        Double checked so many times I'm 100% sure the motor is at 1 TDC.
        87 3.4 4x4 blazer
        3 inch body lift, t-bar/shackle lift, 31x10.5s

Comment

Working...
        X