valve adjustment 91' firebird 3.1L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve adjustment 91' firebird 3.1L

to shorten this up i was to keep each lifter on cam base circle(valve closed) zero lash each rocker and pushrod and tighten 1 full turn and another half turn is this correct???? i am having trouble

I'm not positive on any specs but I would think you would tighten to zero lash then back it off about a half turn...

If you have solid lifters, you want some lash there for when the metal gets hot and it expands.

Someone else will know the exact to measure with a feeler guage.

My two cents...

Comment

i always went 1 full rotation in after zero lash for my preload
      '86 Grand National

Comment

Yea on stock 10MM studs you add 1 turn past zero lash. The book does say 1.5 turns but that is way more than enough. If you have aftermarket 3/8" studs than just add 3/4 turn.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

yea im having some probelms i did all the work and i went with one full turn and another half and it dont seem to idle right but it runs ok its just a pain in the ass taking that plemun off everytime to take the valve covers off would lifters being full of oil have any effect on this?

Comment

No. Oil in or out of the lifters wont matter. But you should back off all the rockers before you start and let the lifter sit for a few minutes and then start. Do not adjust the rocker by backing it off and then immediately setting the preload again.
            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

yea well the cars got about 100,000 miles on it so im gunna go with a set a new lifters ha 4 bucks a piece and then try it again but thank u very much for all the tips

- frank

Comment

Working...
              X