No announcement yet.

New How to for iron head guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another quality article by betterthanyou.

Comment

Just an adder. I didn't like the way the alt hung out there unsupported. There are some known issues with the alt bracket being weak and cracking even with the support of the AIR pump. Add the fact I run a CS144 and not the factory CS130 I figured I'd do something about it. The rods were the support rods off of a 2.5 s-series that bolted the engine to the trans that I had laying around. One bolts to the lower alt mount and the other bolts to the upper AIR pump mount. They are welded to a sleeve that bolts to the lower AIR pump mount. I decided to use the lower AIR mount in case I ever have to put the AIR pump back on.

87 3.4 4x4 blazer
      3 inch body lift, t-bar/shackle lift, 31x10.5s

Comment

That looks good. Never herd or alt support problems though.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I put on Headers like those and couldn't re-use the alternator support. Not long after alternator bracket cracked. I made a simple support down to the head. But that looks even better!

Comment

(but bigger and heavier)

Comment

I can't run the bracket on the rear of the alt that bolts it to the head. There aint a spot on the cs144 to bolt it to like on the cs130. I know of at least 4 guys having alt bracket problems on 2 different s-series forums. The 144 I run is at least 18 lbs so I'm not taking any chances.
              87 3.4 4x4 blazer
              3 inch body lift, t-bar/shackle lift, 31x10.5s

Comment

Oh ok so the problem happens when you don't run the stock pencil brace. Makes sense to add one if you have to ditch the stock one.
                1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                X