Newbie wanting to do 3400 (LA1) engine mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kflo 93 gt View Post
    A set of tubular headers is the next best bang for the buck. There is no debate in this situation. None.

Stock 3400s have dynoed a 20hp gain just by adding headers. The stock manifolds are designed for packing the engine into the engine bay, not for performance; anything but, really.

If you don't get deep into engines yet, don't worry about the top end swap. Put on the headers and enjoy.

And as far as just adding horsepower numbers together - it doesn't work like that. I used to think it did, when I was your age...
    He's right!

A better breathing engine will get better results from exhaust vs a stock one, etc etc..
    I don't understand myself, I just get to read a lot of things from the intelligent posters on this site

Comment

Originally posted by kflo 93 gt View Post
      A set of tubular headers is the next best bang for the buck. There is no debate in this situation. None.

Stock 3400s have dynoed a 20hp gain just by adding headers. The stock manifolds are designed for packing the engine into the engine bay, not for performance; anything but, really.

If you don't get deep into engines yet, don't worry about the top end swap. Put on the headers and enjoy.

And as far as just adding horsepower numbers together - it doesn't work like that. I used to think it did, when I was your age...
      thanks alot! i you just changed my mind to not do a top swap
      2004 Impala 3400SFI LA1

Performance Mods: Custom k&n FWI, Dynomax Dual Mufflers, 180° t-stat, ZZP Downpipe, High Flow Fuel Filter, TCE Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, ZZP Poly Dogbone Mounts, Overkill PCM, TCE 65mm TB, WOT-Tech Ported UIM

SHPD, WTVFD

Comment

headerz n dyno tune lol, BTW whats a Overkill PCM?

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

http://www.getoverkilled.ca/3400.html they also do tunes for 3500 and 3900s and 3100s
          2004 Impala 3400SFI LA1

Performance Mods: Custom k&n FWI, Dynomax Dual Mufflers, 180° t-stat, ZZP Downpipe, High Flow Fuel Filter, TCE Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, ZZP Poly Dogbone Mounts, Overkill PCM, TCE 65mm TB, WOT-Tech Ported UIM

SHPD, WTVFD

Comment

mail order tune eh? those never blow up in someones face...

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

obviously if i did a top swap or any build as through and insane as your i would get a real tune, but as for my daily driver it did its job which was mainly egr delete, and the exhaust codes, also he did some stuff with he trans shift points and rev limiters and stuff idk really what he did but i only got it for those two things.

also he did something with 2nd gear, if i put the car in 2nd it stay in second always, so i can do 2nd gear starts if its snowy and i don't have a lot of traction, 2nd gear starts helps to not spin tires and get more stuck in the snow.
              2004 Impala 3400SFI LA1

SHPD, WTVFD

Comment

Originally posted by Fireball View Post
                Don't make enough power for bigger injectors to be required at this point.
                And if it was close, an AFPR would be cheaper. Boost the fuel pressure slightly.

Originally posted by brigoyanks View Post
                well then the fender wall intake, 62mm tce, ported UIM and EGR delete should help me get to that 27+ mark
                A tune will make it all come together and SHINE. Anytime you change the dynamics, the tune needs to match it to get the most of it.

I would say a mild sports cam and a tune.
                Last edited by TGP37; 12-27-2011, 01:35 PM.
                1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Like i said i live close to him and if he wanted to see my car i would take him for a spin.This way he could see what wot-tec parts could do for his car.
                  I agree 100% on tuning i've seen a 3400/3500 hybrid go from 14.2 to a 13.6 Most mail tunes are generic i would talk to 3400 modified for help.
                  If your keeping the car save and do it right

Comment

I have a 3400 to and i want to reach minimum 200whp. But i'm stock with the headers... I need to build mine but how? i dont want to pay over 1000$ for this... How much can that cost to me?

Comment

Working...
                    X