Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA1 Oil Cooler

Hey guys,

Thought I'd post something interesting I found, especially considering how ghost townie it's been around here. My team pulled the race car out of winter storage last month only to find we'd developed a head gaskety leak since we put her away. Hoping for the best we pulled the heads but found a cracked block due to insufficient coolant draining (series rules require water only). We sourced the closest engine we could find to meet our timeline which was donated by an 04 Buick Rondez Vous. I was pleasantly surprised to see an oil cooler sandwiched between the block and oil filter and even more excited that it fit in the Fiero frame. If attempting a retrofit you may need the coolant pipe that attaches above the water pump. Hope this helps some one!

Cheers,

~Sam

Some of the LQ1's also had a sandwhich cooler. Do you have any pics?
    Current:
    \'87 Fiero GT: 12.86@106 - too dam many valves; ran 12.94 @ 112 on new engine, then broke a CV joint
    \'88 Fiero Formula: slow and attention getting; LZ8 followed by LLT power forthcoming
    \'88 BMW 325iX: The penultimate driving machine awaiting a heart transplant

Gone, mostly forgotten:
    \'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: slow but invisible

Comment

I can try to grab a photo next weekend if CRS doesn't set in. I looked up the part on Rockauto and it's available if expensive. It does however show you what vehicles GM thought needed an oil cooler. The short version is mostly DOHC, vans, and SUVs. No idea whether a trailer package came into play.

Comment

Working...
      X