Exhaust

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kaos
    replied
    Well the welder isn't happening till next tax return. Gonna hack a system on budget.

    Right now I am looking for an axle-back oem setup from an srt4 neon.

    If anyone knows where I can find one please let me know


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • Kaos
    replied
    I am actually thinking about getting the 141i now. It's 110v and supposedly is one of the best 110v units available. And it's TIG ability gets high praise. I'm just afraid it might be too small if I start doing truck suspensions and stuff again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • Superdave
    replied
    looks like a pretty good setup!

    Leave a comment:


  • Kaos
    replied
    This exhaust thing might get put off for a few months. So I can buy a welder.

    #1 choice right now is the Thermal Arc/Tweco Fabricator 181i 3-n-1


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • Kaos
    replied
    I could see how that could be an issue. I think I will start at the front complete each section as I go back. I'm thinking 1 joint at the manifold, and 1 before it goes over the "beam".

    Kicking around the idea of a 1 in 2 out muffler and dual tips.

    Worried about it being too raspy if I do that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • Superdave
    replied
    Better off with the v bands, the 3 bolt ones suck bad.. lol

    Just take your time and make sure it all fits well. It should be ok.

    One factor on mine was that i tacked it all on the car and then pulled the system and welded everything on the ground. That probably didnt help.

    It's a tight fit to run duals on a 3rd gen fbody, even worse when it's lowered.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kaos
    replied
    Damn I didn't realize they were such a headache. Maybe I should just use regular 3 bolt flanges.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • Superdave
    replied
    you're probably going to have to TIG those flanges, they are tiny and thin. At least the pic looks like that, who knows if that's what you'll really get.

    I used ones like the 2nd link, no issues with a MIG. I think mine were around $50 each.



    When you weld them on, just make sure they are sitting perfect and you have the clamps tight. Also make sure there is no stress on the pipes and everything is exactly where you want it. They don't flex so if you need a flex pipe then put it in now.


    I had them on the ends of my headers hooked up to a true dual system with an X pipe. After a few heat cycles the system shifted a little. It became a pain to reinstall. I'd have to line one up and clamp it, then pry the system over to get the other one to seat.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kaos
    replied
    Exhaust

    I'm actually going to use that first link and try their pipe kit and v-bands. Planning to use 3 v-bands and can't justify paying more for those than I do the entire pipe kit. Thanks for the links. 👍


    Looks like everything total is going to be right around $250. For a complete mandrel bent manifold back system with v-band clamps.... seems like a deal to me.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kaos; 03-26-2014, 11:14 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Superdave
    replied


    Those are ok but the flanges are pretty small.

    Better flanges: http://www.racepartsolutions.com/ind...part-solutions

    Leave a comment:


  • Kaos
    replied
    I found a couple advertised like that but not in 2.5"

    I have no issues with welding stainless to mild. Done it before. Just gotta make sure to clean the shit out of it and get it painted quickly.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • Superdave
    replied
    you can buy mild steel V bands, that's what I used on my last set of headers. the band itself is stainless but the 2 flanges are coated steel. no problem welding aluminized pipe to them.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kaos
    replied
    Another thing to keep in mind is that I probably won't be painting the manifolds. Just gonna leave the heat shields on those. For the first round I will only be painting from the collector back. To prevent rust on pipe and especially around weldd


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • pocket-rocket
    replied
    Well, I can say surface prep on the 92 was good. I mean, other than adhesion promoter, you can't get better than sand blasting, lol. I don't recall blasting the truck manifold.

    The 92 the way it sits on the stand.


    The Ranger the way it sits in the drive.


    Like I mentioned before, the DOHC runs hotter (the truck takes a half an hour idling to get heat when it's below freezing), but it was also only driven in warmer weather. Yes the VHT is older (maybe 8-9 years vs ~5-6), but the truck is a daily. The truck paint has also dulled more than I last recall, but that thing rarely gives me a reason to pop the hood.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pocket-rocket; 03-28-2014, 06:29 AM. Reason: typing on a phone pwns me

    Leave a comment:


  • robertisaar
    replied
    i've used VHT, even baked it in an oven like it describes, and it still flaked off within a year on a turbine housing that was never even run...... so i'm kind of reluctant to mention it.

    Leave a comment:

Working...