thought I fixed it Headliners woes strikes back.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • packardbell
    replied
    Originally posted by carbon View Post
    Congrats... you now have an itchy ceiling. LOL
    yup, itchy it is and now got to find a way to get them sunshades to match lol!

    Leave a comment:


  • carbon
    replied
    Congrats... you now have an itchy ceiling. LOL

    Leave a comment:


  • AleroB888
    replied
    Here's something interesting.... I went to a local fabric shop (Hancocks) and they had headliner foam-backed fabrics, real lightweight stuff. I got some of that to test out, and started to take some some stuff labeled "Headliner Adhesive" with it and the lady says "You don't want that, my friend tried that on his car and it came off after a few days." Then she said to try 3M 74 (Foam Fast) because it won't dissolve the foam. They had another 3M adhesive, I think it was #90, heavy duty, or high strength, something like that. I asked what that was for, and she says "Anything but foam," lol

    Leave a comment:


  • 1988GTU
    replied
    go to a shop that offers aftermarket sun-moon roof installs. If they are of no help with providing you material or a POC, then just paint the ceiling black!

    Leave a comment:


  • packardbell
    replied
    original velcro fasteners





    Leave a comment:


  • carbon
    replied
    You seriously don't have a fabric store in Canada? No one sews up there? LOL

    The other option you could look at is vinyl... sub box carpet is just... I dunno... meh.

    Leave a comment:


  • packardbell
    replied
    shipping to canada costs an arm and a leg especially for a car over 25 years old. Hmm, might be more cost efficient to just get some grey color boom box carpet and glue that on.

    Leave a comment:


  • carbon
    replied
    Probably a heat activated process... with a mold, a press and some kind of plastic or epoxy backing that will flash at a low temp to prevent damage to the carpet. I dunno.

    Leave a comment:


  • AleroB888
    replied
    While we're at this, does anybody know about the factory process that is used to make shaped carpet trim pieces, like the grey ones lining the Alero/GrandAm trunks? They are sort of flexible but still retain their shape.

    Leave a comment:


  • 1988GTU
    replied
    Originally posted by carbon View Post
    Edit: I looked at the website, but I have no idea what it would be listed under... I could walk into my local store and point it out with no problem though
    That right there is why I just provided the overarching site link!

    Leave a comment:


  • 3400-95-Modified
    replied
    Get what JoAnn fabrics sells... I have some that will be going in my car and yes it's foam backed like original.



    A second writeup...

    Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 08-20-2014, 02:35 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • packardbell
    replied
    Originally posted by carbon View Post
    +1 JoAnn Fabrics sells a foam backed jersey material similar to what GM headliners were made out of in the 80s, 90s and early 2Ks...

    Edit: I looked at the website, but I have no idea what it would be listed under... I could walk into my local store and point it out with no problem though
    that would be awesome to replace it with the same stuff GM used. I was thinking of using that carpet stuff for boom boxes but the color would not blend in and stick out like a sore thumb. Is the cloth wide enough? thanks man.

    Leave a comment:


  • carbon
    replied
    +1 JoAnn Fabrics sells a foam backed jersey material similar to what GM headliners were made out of in the 80s, 90s and early 2Ks...

    Edit: I looked at the website, but I have no idea what it would be listed under... I could walk into my local store and point it out with no problem though
    Last edited by carbon; 08-20-2014, 07:53 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • 1988GTU
    replied
    JOANN has closed down, but your crafting journey doesn't end here. Discover fabric, yarn, sewing supplies & more at Michaels, your new creative home.

    Leave a comment:


  • packardbell
    replied
    trying to reuse the old headliner but i would need some thin sheet of foam. any ideas?

    Leave a comment:

Working...