porting Iron heads

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ericjon262
    replied
    no way I'd swap to Iron heads on a 3500! I may look dumb but it's just a disguise!

    Leave a comment:


  • Kaiju Senso
    replied
    Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
    Thanks for all of the advice, I was kinda thinking along the same lines with the vane.

    as far as iron Vs aluminum, I'll do aluminum heads for my 3500 build for my Fiero, this motor will probably end up in a gen 2 cavalier or an S10.
    That's a sigh of relief. I would have been sad if you put the Fiero iron heads on that 3500 you got...

    Leave a comment:


  • ericjon262
    replied
    Thanks for all of the advice, I was kinda thinking along the same lines with the vane.

    as far as iron Vs aluminum, I'll do aluminum heads for my 3500 build for my Fiero, this motor will probably end up in a gen 2 cavalier or an S10.

    Leave a comment:


  • ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Don't remove the vanes on the floor. You will have spent that time making your heads flow as good as stock. They are there to help make the air turn. Think like running tap water and putting your finger halfway in the stream, the water will "bend". Same holds true for airflow.

    Leave a comment:


  • geoffinbc
    replied
    Yea aluminum heads would be much quicker to learn on. But hey "Run What You Brung". If you have a ton of leftovers that you can make a motor out of then go for it.

    Leave a comment:


  • bob442
    replied
    I would say it's easier to learn with aluminum heads

    Leave a comment:


  • neophile_17
    replied
    If you're trying to learn porting this is probably a decent way to do it. I'd recommend you build a flow bench rather than shooting in the dark. Good luck.

    ~sam

    Leave a comment:


  • ericjon262
    replied
    there isn't one, I just have them and the remains my old 2.8 and figured I'd see what I could do with them. maybe get another Fiero and see how much my "improvents" would net.

    Leave a comment:


  • bob442
    replied
    Originally posted by neophile_17 View Post
    And what exactly is the advantage of keeping the iron again?

    ~sam
    X2?

    Leave a comment:


  • neophile_17
    replied
    I did some mild port work on the race car heads mostly because they were off and it didn't cost me anything. After reading up on it the concensus was that the fin should stay. This fin was present in V8 heads of the era as well and they reported the same thing. I know some iron heads came with smaller valves. The 3.4L iron and Fiero heads are the same.

    Here's some info on iron heads with a 3x00 block.

    Calgary Fiero Owners Group, The official home of the Calgary Fiero Owners Group located in southern Alberta, Canada


    And what exactly is the advantage of keeping the iron again?

    ~sam

    Leave a comment:


  • ericjon262
    started a topic porting Iron heads

    porting Iron heads

    I know I know, 3x00 heads flow way better but for what I'm doing I prefer the Iron head.

    I do have a few questions though;
    1. are all iron heads the same?
    2. can the hump in the floor be removed/does it help to remove it?
    3. what are the biggest valves that can be installed on the stock iron heads?
    4. can the iron heads be bolted to the 3x00 blocks?



    any input is appreciated, and all related pictures worshiped!!
Working...