V6 curiosity...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • jwevans1024
    replied
    Very true. The iron heads are unfortunately the easiest way to go for a carb. I'm probably just going to go with the 3.1 hybrid. I haven't seen significant enough gains with roller lifters to warrant a swap from a 3.1 to a 3X00 block. At least with the 3400 top end I get the roller fulcrum rockers, a 1.6:1 rocker ratio, and WAY better flow all the way around. That and there are way more cam options for the Gen1/2 flat tappet block and they seem to cost a lot less. A full Comp cams 60° V6 cam kit (includes 260 cam, all 12 lifters, valve springs, guide seals, caps, keepers, timing chain and gear set) is $319.95 from Summit racing. The cam alone is only $144.

    Leave a comment:


  • ericjon262
    replied
    the iron heads just don't flow, I'd skip them, but that's just me. Also, the later blocks offer a factory roller cam

    Leave a comment:


  • jwevans1024
    replied
    Oh man, that's pretty damn cool! Judging by the layout I'm going to say that's going in to a Fiero? Is that top end a 3500 or a 3400? I like the idea of the 3500 manifolds too. My original idea was to use the stock LH0 3.1 block fuel injected, using the 3400 heads and intake, the iron head 2.8/3.1 flat top sealed power pistons, and maybe a crane 260 cam. I also considered using a 2.8 crank to reduce rotational mass, but I think it would sacrifice low end torque too much and throw the power band way too high. I like this setup you have though, very nice!

    Leave a comment:


  • trotterlg
    replied
    I have sort of what you are talking about but with aluminum heads. Put iron head pistons in it for about 12 to one and a really big cam. Don't know how it runs yet but it will probably be fun. Larry

    Leave a comment:


  • jwevans1024
    started a topic V6 curiosity...

    V6 curiosity...

    Okay, so my Cobalt thread was odd but this one may be even more so. It's gonna sound very far fetched and probably wouldn't be worth the effort but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried (for a Z24 Cavalier) building a 3.1 V6 with the iron heads, a distributor, the Edelbrock performance 4bbl. intake manifold and a 4bbl. carb.? I always liked the idea of old school muscle meeting sport compact. I thought with a nice cam and some high compression pistons this might be an interesting combo? I dunno, probably just better off building the stock 3.1... Let me know!
Working...