A very pressing question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very pressing question...

I own a 2000 Chevy Malibu. I am happy with the car. I installed a short-ram intake a few months ago and the old gal will run quite well. Today( my 20th wedding anniversary of all days), the engine overheated on a 15 mile trip to a local town. It rattled horribly and died twice due to heat. It will not re-start. I think it is toast. In fact, I am almost CERTAIN it is toast...crispy along all exposed edges.
    I have been considering a 3400 swap for some time. I have access to reasonably good used engines for 100 bucks. I have a GM factory tech that will change my engine for 350 bucks if I supply the engine and he will do it in one day and guarantee it to run.
    So...do I repair a possibly burned motor, or do I swap with a 3400? What additional parts will I need? What is the difference in gas mileage? Will my tranny hook up? What about motor mounts? Should I swap in some new rings and gaskets to be sure? What about differences in the wiring harness? My son replaced an engine in a '94 Grand Am and had serious issues with the wiring harness. The donor engine was out of a '96 Grand Am...the two do not play nice together.
    I am at a loss to determine how I will solve these problems. Any information will be helpful. You see, the question is pressing because I have a budget of only $600 dollars and the vehicle MUST make a 2800 mile journey within the next 35 days...over the Rockie Mountains and into Arizona.
    I know that the car had a fouling Cam-shaft position sensor prior to this over-heating issue. It also had a small hole in the coolant recovery tank...new part is on order. I intended to swap in 8.5mm wires, new coil packs, coolant recovery tank, plugs, accessory belt, cam-shaft position sensor, timing chain, fuel filter and a good cleaning to my K&N filter before the trip...about $300 if I did the work.
    I am no beginner...I am a certified tech. I just need advice on how to do this within budget and quickly and get a better car out of the deal.
    Originally, the car had 145,000 miles on the old 3.1L v-six and got excellent gas mileage due to the less-restrictive air-filter. The temp NEVER got over 200 degrees according to the gauge.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated. My wife is counting on this trip to see her grandmother and actually CELEBRATE our twentieth anniversary...today just seemed to not be the right time.
    I am mourning my Malibu....and the attention of my wife. Please help.

2000+ 3100 and 3400 are identical with the exception of the bore. Swapping in a 3400 will basically be plug and play. I say basically, because it just depends on which vehicle the 3400 comes from and the year. There are very slight differences, but overall, it is a direct swap.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Most likely you can swap the parts that are needed to use the 3400 even if the 3100 is shot. Iinjectors, regulator, upper intake. Use the throttle body off the 3400 motor.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
      X