Trans cooler in Radiator...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans cooler in Radiator...

Can the auto trans cooler in an automatic radiator be used as a power steering cooler? I have a manual and a radiator for an automatic and would like to have a power steering cooler. Can I convert this trans cooler in the radiator for power steering? I was going to use NPT barbs to screw into the trans cooler and run new lines to it.

This is what I was talking about:

Not sure why my pressure line is re-routed back into the return line with a rubber hose. Isn't it supposed to go into the steering gear box? Anyone have a power steering line routing chart? It doesn't feel like I lost power steering cause it doesn't feel like a manual steering vehicle. Thanks!
    sigpic1993 Pontiac Grand Prix SE, 3.4L DOHC 24 Valve V6 MFPI, 5 speed, completely stock, bucket on a budget!

This is the stock return line. From what I was reading, that hoop that was supposed to be there isn't on my car and its the cooler for the power steering. In the red box in the pic, that's what was chopped off and replaced with a rubber hose and clamps. That's the lines I will be using for the PS cooler on my radiator. Think its possible?

sigpic1993 Pontiac Grand Prix SE, 3.4L DOHC 24 Valve V6 MFPI, 5 speed, completely stock, bucket on a budget!

Comment

I have no idea on the temp usually seen by the power steering, but you would be heating it up to the coolant temp by putting it through the radiator. I would get a cooler for the power steering and use that.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Yeah I totally forgot about that. It would probably defeat the purpose. Will go out today and buy a power steering cooler today.

Comment

Or just a small tranny/oil cooler of any kind.

I have never seen the power steering use the cooler in the rad either.
          1991 Grand Prix STE
          3.4 DOHC
          1 of 792 Produced
          Extensive Mods Done

1991 Lumina Z34
          3.4 DOHC
          Getrag 284 5spd
          1 of 30
          Canadian Z34 Models Made with the Getrag 5spd Wahoooo!

1980 GMC Sierra Classic C25 With 18,000 ORIGINAL MILES!!!!

sigpic

Comment

The older cars didn't even have that loop going out front for a cooler (at least on W-body cars), it just went straight to the return on the pump. As long as the hose has sufficient diameter and does not kink it should be more than adequate. Definitely agreed it would probably do more heating up in the integrated radiator/trans cooler.

Comment

I double checked mine its the one with the U-turn on it. It does have a little kink in the rubber hose so I'm going to have to change it out anyway.

Comment

2nd gen and some first gen s-10s have a coil that mounts infront of the core support for a cooler that might be a cheap fix.

Stealing Betterthanyou's pics, hope he doesn't get mad
                87 3.4 4x4 blazer
                3 inch body lift, t-bar/shackle lift, 31x10.5s

Comment

random question... Why are you needing a Power steering cooler in the 1st place? yours damaged?
                  Shane "RedZMonte"
                  2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
                  1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
                  -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
                  2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
                  1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
                  1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
                  1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
                  1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by RedZMonte View Post
                    random question... Why are you needing a Power steering cooler in the 1st place? yours damaged?
                    Originally posted by Ghettoracer View Post
                    Not sure why my pressure line is re-routed back into the return line with a rubber hose. Isn't it supposed to go into the steering gear box?
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                    Originally posted by Jay Leno
                    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

What I was going to do was drain the PS fluid out of it and run the lines and put a PS filter inline with one of the hoses and run my PS cooler. From what I heard it makes steering a lot more easier and makes your PS fluid a lot more cleaner. Preventative maintenance.

Comment

Working...
                      X