Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car went toyota on me

94 olds cutlass sup 3.4l 111000m

ive noticed recently that the engine rpm is staying at 1100 rpm when stopping at a traffic light then it
    finally drops down to idle . the other day i pulled up to a light an the rpm stayed up at 1500 an it never
    dropped down .i had to really hold the brakes . after 5 miles or so it quit acting up.

the throttle cable appears free . anyone seen this before?

i thought maybe there is something going one with the cruise control. but how would i go about disconnecting it?
    Attached Files

I would pull the IAC and check it and the passage in the manifold as well. I take it no codes are thrown.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

hi Ben , yes there are no codes present. i did recently have an egr code where the tech felt like the egr passage was plugged up in the intake. he ran some cleaner thru it an its been clear since. ill check into the IAC as you recommend.
      sounds like i need to pull the intake an clean it..

rob

Comment

Replace the IACV and clean the throttle. Then do an idle relearn.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

This should give you some idea as how to diagnose the errant idle problem. See if you can get the code 35 to actually set by following the directions.

Last edited by 55trucker; 07-11-2010, 06:44 PM.
          91 LQ1 GP GT

Comment

thankyou for the info guys . i have not had anymore trouble with it since it did it last thursday.
            not that it has anything to do with it. but i did realize that the cruise sw was in the on position.
            the ink has faded away .had to get the owners manual out . to see the sw position .
            when i get off shift at work. ill spend sometime an check the iac out.
            86 i dont know how to do an idle relearn? would you guys explain it for me.
            rob

Comment

Here's one way to do an Idle Relearn:

How to Relearn the Idle

If your battery has been disconnected for about 15 minutes or so, you may need to perform this procedure in order for the computer to relearn how to idle. Under most circumstances, it will relearn after just driving the car for a while, but if your car continues to experience an abnormal idle, or you just don't want to wait for it to relearn on its own, you can try this procedure.
              How To Do It
              Step One
              Restore battery power and turn off air conditioning controls.

Step Two
              Run the engine up to operating temperature and shut off.

Step Three
              Apply the parking brake. Start the vehicle and place it in drive (A/T), or neutral (manual).

Step Four
              Run the engine until the cooling fan has cycled on and off, or for a maximum of 10 minutes.

Step Five
              Turn the ignition key off for at least 5 seconds.

Step Six
              Restart the engine and again shift into drive or neutral. Allow engine to run for at least 5 minutes.

Step Seven
              Shut off engine for 10 seconds and restart.

Step Eight
              That should do it. With engine stabilized and in closed loop, the IAC motor values should be between nine to 12 counts. If not, the adjustments may be tailored by adjusting the minimum air rate screw. More throttle valve opening equals lower IAC counts. Less throttle opening equals higher IAC counts.

Hope This helps,,,
              Tom...

Comment

that looks easy enough, thanks Tom, thanks for the help guys.

rob

Comment

Working...
                X