Where to get timing belt actuator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : Where to get timing belt actuator

I am finally getting to replacing my timing belt.. I ordered a new dayco belt, tensioner, and idlers yesterday from rock auto. Now, I'm looking for the actuator. Is the dealer the best place to get this? 24503860 is the part number I've looked for and the cheapest I've seen it is like $80.
    Now, besides the actuator, am I lacking anything else for parts to do this job?
    88 Beretta GT
    69 Corvette
    79 Mustang Ghia
    95 Cutlass Convertible

Here are the prices I've put together
    Cheapest from different dealers: $112.05
    GMpd: 65.78+16.77S+H= $82.55
    GMpg: 79.05+12.41S+H= $91.46
    GMpe: 75.58+12.41S+H= $87.99

I will add any as I go- just trying to save up some money for spring break.
    Last edited by bbeck; 01-31-2012, 01:45 PM.
    88 Beretta GT
    69 Corvette
    79 Mustang Ghia
    95 Cutlass Convertible

Comment

My cost is 71 bucks plus shipping, so GMPD is probably gonna be it for you.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Thanks for checking. I just figured I'd try to look around and post the info as well for future reference. I actually ordered the part yesterday right after I last edited my previous post. So, hopefully it comes in soon. The rest of the parts will be in by this weekend. I think the actuator will be the hold-up if there is one (realized after I ordered it that it states that it may take like 7-10 days just to ship out!).. But, I want this thing ready for the trip to florida next month.
        88 Beretta GT
        69 Corvette
        79 Mustang Ghia
        95 Cutlass Convertible

Comment

Michigan to Florida is a nice drive. I have been Indiana/Florida a few times now. What part of Florida? We are clear down by Miami.
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I'll be going to panama city beach- doing my first college spring break. Couldn't get the time or didn't have the money while I was in college. Can't wait to be able to drop the top. I flew to Miami about 5 years ago for a cruise, but didn't get the chance to drive around at all.
            88 Beretta GT
            69 Corvette
            79 Mustang Ghia
            95 Cutlass Convertible

Comment

Would you recommend doing the 6/6 timing on this car while replacing the belt? It is in front of an automatic. If I remember correctly, you played around with it some? What kind of mileage did you gain or lose after doing it?
              88 Beretta GT
              69 Corvette
              79 Mustang Ghia
              95 Cutlass Convertible

Comment

I would do 6/6 timing on just about everything unless you need to pull to 7k+. 6/6 is a solid 3000-6500 power band. I don't recall much of a difference on MPG, but the DOHC is not really an MPG machine anyway.
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                  I would do 6/6 timing on just about everything unless you need to pull to 7k+. 6/6 is a solid 3000-6500 power band. I don't recall much of a difference on MPG, but the DOHC is not really an MPG machine anyway.
                  Why doesn't +6/-6 move the powerband up since it's increasing overlap?
                  Jesse M.

3x 1990 Turbo Grand Prix
                  1987 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe

Comment

You are advancing the intake cam 6 degrees, hence the lower powerband. Overlap is reduced, not increased.
                    Ben
                    60DegreeV6.com
                    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

My apologies for derailing, but I'm confused. Doesn't advancing the intake mean it would happen sooner? Sooner would move it closer to exhaust closing increasing overlap. That's how I've always understood it. Like this picture:

It would also seem retarding the exhaust would move it closer to intake opening also increasing overlap?
                      Jesse M.

3x 1990 Turbo Grand Prix
                      1987 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe

Comment

Working...
                      X