Great White Whale (LONG)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great White Whale (LONG)

This is the 60degree v6 equipped car that I've altered and tweaked to my liking. You are looking at a White '93 Pontiac Grand Prix SE with a 3.4 TDC, 4-Speed Electronic Automatic Transaxle, and ABS. I bought this car to replace my Maroon '89 Grand Prix SE(my second ever car), To basically transfer good parts from it to another car and since I wiped out the '89 GPSE I wanted ABS in the worst way. My '89 Car althogh had been around the block, I thought was a very nice car and will always have fond memories of it after 7 years of ownership. prior to that I had an '89 Cutlass Supreme International(that was my first).. Nice looking car, though a big pile of......

Not too hot of a shot but this car has white wheels plus the factory spoiler. The spoiler is different than the typical ones you would find on a '94+. Its basically thinner and more curvier. Also I have Ventvisors and thinner than stock profile yellow glass foglights to replace the broken factory ones and I have a blue Pontiac banner on the upper front windshield.

Note the HUD on the windshield.

The interior is cloth Dark graphite with front sport buckets, With the 5% tinted windows you can barely see your hand infront of your face. Such features include, the '93 Systems Monitor array, full intrumentation with a 7000RPM redline Tach and a oil pressure read out (some '92's and 93's got that dummy gauge), HUD, automatic rearview mirror, cool A/C, hard wired Radar/Laser detector, Viper Alarm W/ Remote Start, Factory CD Player that has been altered to accept CD-R's, Power Antenna, 4 speaker System with 4x6's Pioneer Speakers on the dash and 6x9's on the rear parcel shelf, 600watt Pioneer Amp powers the 6x9's plus a powered 200 watt Pioneer subwoofer(I call this setup... Delco/Pioneer, Matched up to provide great sound, though defnately not a competition set up, its strong and evenly balanced ), Cruise, Power windows, locks, and mirrors, Leather wrapped shifter, and steering wheel with Next Gen satellite controls(these can turn on and off the radio amoung other things the earlier ones didn't do). Thats about it for the interior other than the trunk net.

Now, for the interesting part.............................ehk.... what's under the hood. 3.4 TDC complete with engine and transmission cooling package. Changes include a 160 Hypertec thermostat, BEN chip, 3.73 final drive, K and N drop in filter, and after changing it 3 times I finnaly splurged for a AC Delco reman Alternator. I've replaced all the upper gaskets minus the head gaskets, sealed up the Oil pump drive, and changed the timing belt, which I thought , like changeing the alternator was too much for what that engine was worth. I liked the TDC for the fact it used regular fuel(overall economy was so so) and it was a quiet cruiser(though I don't mind a loud cruiser either). It has some extra power but the overall powerband when it got down to it...Not what I like. It starts slow for the first 3500-4000 rpm, then gets fast for 1500rpm then gets slows up pretty significantly again for like another 1500-2000, Somthing I've noticed with all of these TDC's. The Ben Chip helped out but still.....Some of you people know how I feel about this engine. Plus I have this mental peeve about things that run so hot. Suffice it to say, I took care of it, it has been pretty reliable other than the alternator, oh and the egr code I used to get all the time, but after a year, and esspecially living in NY, I couldn't take it's garbage anymore. The power I could tolerate if I didn't have to watch that belt. Though GM says it can last 70,000 miles, we all know damn well that thing can go at anytime. And that just doesn't compute with me. Granted not everything on a GM W car... or on most any early to mid 90's GM is reliable but some things can be delt with on the spot. Overall It does work and has moved me from point A to B. But I can't stand it as far as I can throw it. The 3.4 TDC in particular is not the engine for me, never was. There is more reasons why I don't like it but I just want to forget it. It would suit somebody else, not me.

Plan on changing that.

Ignore the Magnecore sticker PLEASE!!

That is what I used to have.

This is what I have now.

Go ahead laugh at the coffee can. It does the job though. And it's the olny thing that fits the chassis. They used this on '93 3100 Cutlass Superemes.

Thanks to McGavinZ26 a supplier of EGR adaptors

Iceberg kit. Works very well. At least thats what the gauge indicates.

DRL runs the foglights.

Intake extension.

Compact Gear Reduction Factory Starter(Ben you were right), I belive this is from a 3800, It is bigger than the gen3 60deg starter.

Custom fabricated 2.5 inch downpipe.

And finally...

Lol 2001 model year emmisions conformity?? Hardly.Yeah Moble 1 for the fact that despite what people might think engine does winds high(surprised the hell out of me) and I want to protect it.

This is not an avarage 3400. Not that putting in a regular 3400 wouldn't be so bad, provding one could get a few more horses in before the install. This what I call the 3400+.

Basic '00 3400 From an Olds Alero. Was actually installed in my late '89 GPSE for 500 miles till it was destroyed.

12.0+:1 compression
    Crane regrind, high lift long duration(Thanks to GPXSS)
    Matched valve springs and hardware
    2.5 inch down pipe up from the stock 2 inch
    Reman heads(Thanks to GPXSS again)
    Stock 56 TB
    3400 fuel injectors
    Stock dual pipe exhaust
    '93 3100 Cutlass filter induction (coffee can)
    K and N drop in(conviently found in the coffee can!!!)
    160 Hypertech Thermostat
    Solid rubber main motor mount
    Borg Warner IGN wires, Coils, and DIS
    AC Delco Grand Prix Turbo double platinum spark plugs gapped .060
    BEN CHIP

This is a basically a clone of 3100 MPFI's engine. Just as well since we built ours together. Only differnces is that he has the factory oil cooler, a 62mm TB, Flowmaster 40's, and doctored up S and S Headers.

Driving impressions? Well when I step on the gas it doesn't dilly dally, and it keeps going. It sounds like any other GEN3, just louder and a hair more frenetic. It does have a hot idle but its still rather smooth, still needs a hair bit of tuning. Not too much valvetrain noise either. Its small yet sizable, smooth running, and potent. Better yet, no detonation this time around. This engine started on the first try and ran well even after sitting inth e garage for over a year. It seems so stabile that I'm not even looking back....I love it

I also personally rebuilt the 4T60-E Transaxle. Since I knew how this engine would operate plus my exposure to the automatic transmission I felt it was nessesary. Replaced all the seals, gaskets, clutches, bands, soleniods, switches, Modulator, 4T65E steel/composite driven sprocket support/2nd clutch drum thrust washer, aftermarket hardened reverse reaction drum, and drive chain. Operation? Well I was happy when it went into gear It upshifts, downshifts, and cruises with the TCC. How well does it shift? At WOT it'll chirp 1-2. It probably won't do that too much longer because I plan to install wider tires. Also since I replaced the Drive Chain, the sprockets aren't matched with the new chain, transmission makes a cool quiet whine as it goes through the gears. Kinda sounds like a Crown Vic! That was all worth it and it was interesting to rebuild it. Why not use a standard shift? Because I'd rather have the auto for my locale, plus I'm not in the mood for dashboard excavating. Also the auto works well. The 3.73 final drive is in this rebuild.

Going off the Drive train, is suspesion. Up front are the big stabilzer and factory '97 Lumina Law Enforcement Package Struts and springs. This Basically makes the car ride over the road like like glue. The suspension doesn't give. Also I had to switch to the slightly larger front rotor. I got these because I needed new struts anyways so for $25, I was like what the hell. It also dropped th enose of the car an inch and a half...yet removing the TDC raised my car an 1/2 of an inch......The rear consistsof the stock SE TDC rear spring and big stabilizer, Monroe Reflex struts, and MOOG spring tip repair blocks. It actually works well with the front end..... Also the car has the sport steering rack and I installed a tower crossmemer, not that I think these cars need it but for $20 whatever... At the moment I have some wider tires waiting to be installed.

Future plans:
    65mm tb, becasue the 56 just won't cut the cheese....
    Louder mufflers, thinking of Hooker Aero Chambers.
    Retune
    Factory oil cooler
    '93 3100 intake duct
    Maybe some doctered up S and S headers

Overall the swap didn't take much time at all if you add it all up, the killer was the transmission. In fact the day I did the wiring, I started it up and still had some sun left.

And that's about it. Thats my Car. Yeah I know the thread is 5,000 miles long.

Hope to see you all at the meet...
    Lorenzo

Armed:Weapons ready!
    Lorenzo
    '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
    '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

that works. i'm going the same route(dohc -> 3400) because my timing belt tensioner popped without warning on a WOT 1-2 shift.

Comment

Nice!

That engine is what I need in my 'bird.
      60v6's original Jon M.

Comment

3400 would be my 2nd choice...1st with an auto though. I can't wait to see what this "slight retune" is gonna really be. I bet its "omg this thing even runs!" sorta thing:P hahaha, guess we will find out soon enough

Im back to my 5 speed swap, cause I like digging under the dash...oh the humanity!
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

maybe i should spend this time finishing up those tools i was making for ben so he will actually burn my chip when the time comes. ive gotta run the auto for now cause the d!ck that said he had my 282 setup ended up not having it after all. no egr adapter for me, i blocked that POS off and put a plug in the exhaust manifold.

which downpipe did you use the flange from? i can bend one up no problem but will my 3.1 or 3.4 downpipe flanges work on the 3x00 manifold?

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107
            3400 would be my 2nd choice...1st with an auto though. I can't wait to see what this "slight retune" is gonna really be. I bet its "omg this thing even runs!" sorta thing:P hahaha, guess we will find out soon enough

Im back to my 5 speed swap, cause I like digging under the dash...oh the humanity!
            Well the BLM is about 137 and the MAP is highest 70 kpa avrage 65...Digging under the dash eh? I'll bring my mattock and one of those hard hats with the lights on them for you
            Lorenzo

Comment

Originally posted by patgizz
              maybe i should spend this time finishing up those tools i was making for ben so he will actually burn my chip when the time comes. ive gotta run the auto for now cause the d!ck that said he had my 282 setup ended up not having it after all. no egr adapter for me, i blocked that POS off and put a plug in the exhaust manifold.

which downpipe did you use the flange from? i can bend one up no problem but will my 3.1 or 3.4 downpipe flanges work on the 3x00 manifold?
              The downpipe was from a '97 Lumina. In '97 they went to the center outlet. With that they made a Downpipe that fits very well. I just had my muffler shop mimick the design at 2.5 inches and reweld it. You can use the 3.4 TDC flange if you got the side outlet exhaust from '93-'96 W-cars but it's really a pain in the ass to bolt up to the point where can be impossible. If I were you I'd get the the '97+ Rear manifold plus I'd ask the yards for a '97+ downpipe. Lumina Specific.
              Lorenzo

Comment

147 is lean. 70 kpa max is horrible. It doesnt hit .9x at WOT? If you meant its 70 at idle, that thing is gonna suck my ass for tuning.
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Sorry I meant 137 BLM. It maxes 70 kpa in idle, when I get the car legal I'll get you some more numbers. It only stalls when I either when I just turn on the A/C and the compressor load is very high, or if it just starts funny. otherwise it'll idle and go into gear without a problem. Even comming to a stop is good. Mostly I can say that for now my problem is with getting good consistant start ups.
                  Lorenzo

Comment

Good to see the pics again:P Maybe I'll get to see the beast soon!
                    Robby Whitesell
                    2006 Pontiac G6 GT
                    1985 Toyota Pickup DLX

Comment

Updates to the Whale!!!:

Hooker Aero Chamber Mufflers
                      62MM FDP Throttle Body
                      Super Computer Tuning By $APPY$E107
                      Custom Length Crane Chromoly Pushrods

That last item that was really changed was the pushrods. Initally it gave a really good torque increase. But now after it has kinda settled in, there more power across the band. I will try to get times either this week or next. In theroy I should top current standing pretty well.
                      Lorenzo

Comment

Re: Great White Whale (LONG)

Originally posted by gpse3400
                        12.0+:1 compression
                        Crane regrind, high lift long duration(Thanks to GPXSS)
                        Matched valve springs and hardware
                        2.5 inch down pipe up from the stock 2 inch
                        Reman heads(Thanks to GPXSS again)
                        Stock 56 TB
                        3400 fuel injectors
                        Stock dual pipe exhaust
                        '93 3100 Cutlass filter induction (coffee can)
                        K and N drop in(conviently found in the coffee can!!!)
                        160 Hypertech Thermostat
                        Solid rubber main motor mount
                        Borg Warner IGN wires, Coils, and DIS
                        AC Delco Grand Prix Turbo double platinum spark plugs gapped .060
                        BEN CHIP

This is a basically a clone of 3100 MPFI's engine. Just as well since we built ours together. Only differnces is that he has the factory oil cooler, a 62mm TB, Flowmaster 40's, and doctored up S and S Headers.
                        Sounds impressive... I've heard that it runs on 87 octane, which is quite a feat for 12:1 compression.

Got any more info on it? Where can I find out more about 3100 mpfi's engine?
                        Current:
                        \'87 Fiero GT: 12.86@106 - too dam many valves; ran 12.94 @ 112 on new engine, then broke a CV joint
                        \'88 Fiero Formula: slow and attention getting; LZ8 followed by LLT power forthcoming
                        \'88 BMW 325iX: The penultimate driving machine awaiting a heart transplant

Gone, mostly forgotten:
                        \'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: slow but invisible

Comment

3100mpfi's site has info http://www.3100mpfi.com/ . His engine is almost a virtual copy of mine. All I really differ in is displacement, compression is a bit higher due to the bigger displacement and I'm using stock exhaust manifolds. I would like to get another cam reground with even higher lift and duration. And I'm running Hooker Aero Chamber mufflers. I might just go and get my whole exhuast enlarged to 2.5". I just had to change my sparkplugs. They were actually running a bit too cold! One of them fouled up completely too. The joy of trial and error...... Good news is I've installed a 140 amp alternator!!!!
                          Lorenzo

Comment

So it does run on 87 octane, even with 12:1 compression?

What are your cam specs? How late does the exhaust valve close?
                            Did you polish chambers, coat pistons, etc?

I'm intrigued.
                            Current:
                            \'87 Fiero GT: 12.86@106 - too dam many valves; ran 12.94 @ 112 on new engine, then broke a CV joint
                            \'88 Fiero Formula: slow and attention getting; LZ8 followed by LLT power forthcoming
                            \'88 BMW 325iX: The penultimate driving machine awaiting a heart transplant

Gone, mostly forgotten:
                            \'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: slow but invisible

Comment

I can run 87 in a pinch. I normally use midgrade. there was like a maximum of about 2 degrees retard programed in at certian RPM and load to counter the Detonation. I have enough cam where the detonation is not too big of a problem. In fact my biggest problem really was too cold of a sparkplug. As of now Even during a WOT shift I do not detonate at all. I'm now using a hotter plug. Going to see how that works out. All I did to the combustion chambers was smooth out any sharp ridges. The pistons are 3.4 Camaro Sealed Power pistons. Stock replacements really, but they look alot nicer and seem lighter than the typical GM slug. I'd like to think my compression is more like 12.5:1. Comparing compression of a GEN1 3.1 to a GEN1 3.4. I will be trying regular gas next time around and I'll see if I detonate. as of now I get no knock with midgrade. You use enough cam and you can use regular gasoline with high compression. I'm using Chris William's Regrind Spec(can be found on the 60degree v6 website). I think I'd like to go taller/longer but for now that isn't really an option.... Idle is nice as well, almost undetectable at 900+/- RPM.
                              Lorenzo

Comment

Working...
                              X