Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would people be interested in a Facebook-like IM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would people be interested in a Facebook-like IM?

I am currently looking at some software that would allow for a facebook-like instant messenger and applications bar at the bottom of the screen. The IM system would allow users to chat with each other while browsing the forums. The application bar would allow me to put links to various areas of the site down along the bottom (in icon form) - things like the garage, photo gallery, CR Calc, articles, etc.

There is a cost for the software, hence the reason I am asking if people think it would be beneficial to the site. If not, then I won't spend the money. But if so, then I will, and will expand on it from there.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Got an example? Don't send me to facebook either:P
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

No. Well atleast for me I say no. It might be used at first for a while, but after a couple months or so it would probably peter off like the chat box.
      Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Login as demo1, pw is user1.
        -Brad-
        sigpic

Comment

Hmm. I have a facebook account but never use it... lol

But if it shows when users are on the board, and you can chat with them, that might be a good way to actually catch people TO chat with them instead of hoping someone joins the chat room. Would be interesting to chat with the regular guys on here about what's new etc and ask quick opinions on things..

Is it very expensive?

Ok I logged in but didn't see anything different.... does it only work in IE?
          Last edited by IsaacHayes; 08-05-2009, 04:32 PM.
          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
          Original L82 Longblock
          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

That's why I thought it would be a cool idea... I don't know how many times (esp when I'm at work) I see someone like Ben online, and want to ask him a quick question. By the time I send the PM, he's usually gone, or ignores it (or doesn't see it, etc).

The cost is $50 with 1-yr of updates for free.

As far as what to look for when you log in, you will see the bar at the bottom of the screen give a listing of who is online. You can click on that space to see everyone, and click on someone to chat with. It then opens up another box (from the bar) as a chat window. It is supposed to work with all browsers, including Safari and Chrome.

Here is a link to some screenshots as well... http://www.cometchat.com/features
            -Brad-
            sigpic

Comment

that would be handy like Brad said. you know when you got a question for someone and there online or if someone else is on that might be able to help you.
              it would be quicker than waiting for them to reply to the PM that is if they even see it.

is that $50 a year or $50 from the get go.

from the screenshots its setup something like facebook. not that i use anything on facebook. just usually log in every now and then to check out some ish.
              sigpic
              99 Grand Am GT
              3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
              Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
              1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
              515 515 lift 112 lsa
              15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

Its a one-time fee of $50, with a year free of updates. After that year, if its updated (any we wanted the new items), then we'd prob have to pay another fee (unsure the amount).

It is fully customizable though, so we could add other stuff to it as well.
                -Brad-
                sigpic

Comment

Brad and I used it on the test site and it is pretty neat. You can set yourself invisible if you don't want to be bothered. If you have a lot of IMs going, then you could just have everyone join the chat if need be. I think it is useful, but as for how often it is used...who knows. We have the resources I am sure, but the donations have pretty much died. I am about to put me monthly $20 in but I was the only donation last month

You could just use the GAGT first to 12s pot since no one is trying very hard to win that:P
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                    Brad and I used it on the test site and it is pretty neat. You can set yourself invisible if you don't want to be bothered. If you have a lot of IMs going, then you could just have everyone join the chat if need be. I think it is useful, but as for how often it is used...who knows. We have the resources I am sure, but the donations have pretty much died. I am about to put me monthly $20 in but I was the only donation last month
                    Not exactly. Blackbombshell donated, but for some reason it didn't show up in the donation bar. But you can look in the donations list and see it.

You could just use the GAGT first to 12s pot since no one is trying very hard to win that:P
                    Yeah, its just sitting there. I should pull it out and put it in my savings account so it can earn some interest!
                    -Brad-
                    sigpic

Comment

haha Ben i honestly didnt see anyone on that site being able to go after that.

theres only like 2 or 3 people i can think of right now that has hit 12's. and last time i saw spy was getting a 96 cavy and using that instead of the grand am.

you could use the first to 12's pot and not have to worry about replacing it.
                      sigpic
                      99 Grand Am GT
                      3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
                      Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
                      1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
                      515 515 lift 112 lsa
                      15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

Since this is about facebook, I thought this was good... It was the stump the DJ winning joke on 94WHJY yesterday...

"Whats the best internet pick up line?"

"Hey babe, wanna come over to myspace and you can twitter my yahoo till I google all over your facebook?"

LMAO!

You got me Ben Donation coming. It's been a while for me. Consider yourself lucky, I'm poor right now... LOL

We should have a 60* first to 12's pot... Is there anyone there yet?
                        Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 08-07-2009, 09:03 AM.

Got Lope?
                        3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                        Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                        Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                        12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Went ahead and took the plunge. It is installed, but currently not set up correctly. I am awaiting feedback from the developer on how to modify it to work with the current on-line users, as well as the links on the left-hand side. So, its there, but basically doesn't work yet. I will update this post once I get it working properly.
                          -Brad-
                          sigpic

Comment

Oh sweet, so can I fuck with it before you know what to do then? hehehehe
                            Ben
                            60DegreeV6.com
                            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I am sure someone runs 12s with a 60V6 and could join in a heartbeat to win that pot. We would have to do a HP or Torque based challenge, not time since there are a lot of different vehicles here.

How about "first to own every wot-tech part" pot. Ill put $50 on that:P
                              Ben
                              60DegreeV6.com
                              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
                              X