2 Tiered Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Tiered Internet

I'm sure you all, or most, have heard what the "Big Guys" want to do. Here is the form letter that all E Bay customers recieved. I wrote my Congressman, aside from the E Bay thing. I'd hate for "Normal People" to lose what we have built in the last 2 decades. (I've removed my E Bay sn and the links.)

Dear ..........,

As you know, I almost never reach out to you personally with a request to get involved in a debate in the U.S. Congress. However, today I feel I must.

Right now, the telephone and cable companies in control of Internet access are trying to use their enormous political muscle to dramatically change the Internet. It might be hard to believe, but lawmakers in Washington are seriously debating whether consumers should be free to use the Internet as they want in the future.

Join me by clicking here -- ..........................-- to send a message to your representatives in Congress.

The phone and cable companies now control more than 95% of all Internet access. These large corporations are spending millions of dollars to promote legislation that would allow them to divide the Internet into a two-tiered system.

The top tier would be a "Pay-to-Play" high-speed toll-road restricted to only the largest companies that can afford to pay high fees for preferential access to the Net.

The bottom tier -- the slow lane -- would be what is left for everyone else. If the fast lane is the information "super-highway," the slow lane will operate more like a dirt road.

Today's Internet is an incredible open marketplace for goods, services, information and ideas. We can't give that up. A two-lane system will restrict innovation because start-ups and small companies -- the companies that can't afford the high fees -- will be unable to succeed, and we'll lose out on the jobs, creativity and inspiration that come with them.

The power belongs with Internet users, not the big phone and cable companies. Let's use that power to send as many messages as possible to our elected officials in Washington. Please join me by clicking here right now to send a message to your representatives in Congress before it is too late. You can make the difference.

Thank you for reading this note. I hope you'll make your voice heard today.

Sincerely,

Meg Whitman
    President and CEO
    eBay Inc.
    Thanx for reading. Write your Congressman. Be heard. Slow is not my style.
    If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
    sigpic

You sure that's from ebay?

Since me nor another guy I know with an account got any messages like that.
    SpudFiles
    Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
    Theopia
    Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
    3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

I got it. And I actually got it in the My Messages part of my account on ebay, so I'd say that it is definately from them...
      -Brad-
      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
      sigpic
      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

That's funny, I got it too, but it wasn't in My Messages, and I also use the ebay tool bar which lets you know if a site is bogus, and sure enough, when you click on the link, bogus site. But it didn't appear to have any malicous content on the site, so I don't know...

Comment

you actually fell for that garbage? lol
          never going to happen

spam mail, gotta love it, very creative
          lets piss off the congressman with a flood of garbage

Comment

Uh, it is from E Bay. And there was no link.
            Google it.
            If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
            sigpic

Comment

Its very real. Look it up.
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

it doesnt matter if the email is real, the issues are, if people dont become educated on this and fight back with thier voice and thier vote dont be surpised to have an internet that is very much like the services on your cell phone where you are paying for every page you view and the content provider is paying to show you that page.

1995 Monte Carlo LS
                3400 SFI 60v6
                FFP Underdrive Pulley, S&S Headers, LSD, ODBII Swap, DHP

Comment

If that Happened I would boot internet.

It would be hard to implement such a stature, not only would they have to rework the entire infrastructure the internet is based on the government would have to crack down on wardriving, wireless hotspots, prohibit sales of certain high gain antannas, and last the everyday ghost wireless trace that bleeds over your wireless card...

I was planning on getting a SuperPass CPE SuperUSB-A16 or A20 to link to access points throughout the entire block upto 1/4 mile. Mabey even a wireless router reapeater!
                  Last edited by Juglenaut; 08-19-2006, 01:20 AM.
                  I am back

Mechanical/Service Technican

Comment

i agree,
                    and the motorola modem will allways be hacked, heck im runnign two hacked motorolas
                    docsis 2.0 has been cracked
                    docsis 3.0 is YEARS from being fully implemented
                    this two tier if it ever happened would require a whole new docsis revision
                    happen in like 20 years maybe ? :P

i dunno

Comment

actually it can be done right now, 5-10 years ago this wasnt possible but thanks to faster processors and busses modern routers are able to not only just route individual packets but actually inspect the content of every packet being handled and make changes accordingly.

The idea being that ISPs can do things like block/degrade quality competing VOIP services or charge content providers like Google or Amazon to recieve high speed access to thier customers. The telecoms are looking to double dip and collect money not just from the customer but from content providers who are already paying for thier own bandwidth.

f you dont believe this is possible or that it can be made to happen then you either dont understand the issue or the technology as well as you think you do.

1995 Monte Carlo LS
                      3400 SFI 60v6
                      FFP Underdrive Pulley, S&S Headers, LSD, ODBII Swap, DHP

Comment

This kind of technology will not prevail on the net backbone. As long as someone is pulling a broad band bandwidth into wireless WiFi connection it can be piggy backed and the packet will look as if it coming from the end user so this kind of identification is still not well founded.

Any number of users can be on a single IP so long the bandwidth can result in a dividend. To change the way the net is handled will cause a major problem in it current state, this cannot be done this way be mear software it has to be hardware based or the system in a whole will collapse, plus not only will this pissoff white hats this will also upset the true hacker and lord only knows what could happen if both sides get pist. There already is alot of internet collisions in the cloud of cyberspace, to be able to direct this chaos into a striaght line will require new hardware like a computer revolution and everyone will have to buy a new computer.

Every interface has a MAC however even this has limitations nothing is unhackable believe it, even the token that may be in your hand. The only thing I see as being not hackable is a Quantum Computer which is more or less fictional or in theory but I am sure somewhere out is the universe one exsist.
                        Last edited by Juglenaut; 08-26-2006, 01:41 AM.
                        I am back

Mechanical/Service Technican

Comment

Working...
                        X