Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cam Timing, What is best for 8psi turbo stock cam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Timing, What is best for 8psi turbo stock cam?

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix se 2-door
    3100 v6 L82 Automatic 4-Speed
    T40E Turbo 5-8psi

I am replacing the camshaft sprocket, crank sprocket and chain today. The cam sprocket has the 4 tooth configuration so I can fine tune the cam timing. So I am hoping some of you can share your cam timings and experiences with them to help me make the best degree choice.

The chain is being replaced as it jumped timing during crank and idle for 2 seconds. It wasn't a load interference but there was some noticeable tapping. I am positive it isn't detonation and used a rod to find cyl 1 TDC through cyl 4. The intake valve is opening late, heavy retardation of the timing. Car is well tuned so that also leads me to believe there was no detonation pinging. I once made the mistake of thinking it was detonation. I ended up really working the piston and valves good. haha.

So there was some light piston valve impact for a very brief amount of time. I have spare valves and rods so I am not concerned about them if bent. They are being replaced, well at least the rods are being replaced initially. I'll pressure test the chamber later to see if valves aren't bent bad.

Give a man a hand guys, I need some professional advice from the best of the best.

Camshaft timing for turbo?

Advise concerning the interference from timing jump?

Thanks guys, you all rock.
    Last edited by Schmieder; 07-17-2010, 09:17 AM.

Stock. advance timing or retard it electronically in the Tuning software.

S
    Shane "RedZMonte"
    2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
    1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
    -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
    2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
    1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
    1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
    1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
    1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

You don't adjust cam timing electronically.

Couldn't tell you what is best for boost, sorry.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

yeah, i tried advancing and retarding in DD2003 w/boost.... that software might show boosted stuff, but it's wildly inaccurate.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

As was indicated if the timing chain has jumped you will not be able to correct it with a change in the spark table because the timing events between the crank and the cam will still be incorrect. As for a good cam for turbocharging, stick with the stock cam unless you're building a competitor. I struggle with the urge to upgrade the camshaft for boost despite the fact that I favor low end torque and 0-60 acceleration. It's hard to squash the idea of high hp numbers instead of camming the engine according to my driving habits, stop light to stop light tire chirping shifts. A big cam will all but take that away or most of it in exhchange for poorer fuel economy and idle quality. If it's a daily driver keep it friendly, you can always turn up the boost.

Comment

He didn't even mention spark timing once.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
              He didn't even mention spark timing once.
              No, but RedZmonte suggested an electronic adjustment and that's what my post was referring to if it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph Upson View Post
                No, but RedZmonte suggested an electronic adjustment and that's what my post was referring to if it helps.
                I guess I should have typed cam degree instead of cam timing. I see where the error lies.

I agree with stock cam after much reading. If it isn't a big deal, the money is better spent somewhere else on the block. Now, if I run out of stuff to mod I may consider a cam with a little more lift and tweaked ever so slightly for boost.

Comment

solid-core(as opposed to the factory hollow-core) would help with ease of mind as well.
                  1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                  Latest nAst1 files here!
                  Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
                    solid-core(as opposed to the factory hollow-core) would help with ease of mind as well.
                    Yeah, that too. If I decide to go double timing chain getting a solid core cam would be best. Here is an interesting question....have you ever seen a hollow cam twist? As in pistons 5/6 delayed to pistons 1/2.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmieder View Post
                      have you ever seen a hollow cam twist? As in pistons 5/6 delayed to pistons 1/2.
                      Possibly, although I'm not sure you would know before it snaps in half. If something is causing it to twist, its going to eventually cause it to snap. And we've seen plenty of snapped ones...
                      -Brad-
                      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                      sigpic
                      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
                        Possibly, although I'm not sure you would know before it snaps in half. If something is causing it to twist, its going to eventually cause it to snap. And we've seen plenty of snapped ones...
                        Ha, I guess I overlooked the obvious.

Comment

Working...
                        X