wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring

Have a 91 Camaro 3.1 V6 in my 47 Chevy, haven't got it running yet, can I eliminate some of this wiring, or is it easer to just eliminate the fuel injection?

Its easier to run a carb and distributor, and with iron heads I would probably just go that route anyway.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Keeping the EFI is not that difficult and you can eliminate a fair amount of the wires from the ECM.

You should have a '7730 ECM (or similar). This ECM is pretty straight forward, and if need be to eliminate some of the wires, like emissions controls, easy to change the settings in the bin and program a new EPROM (chip), to run without setting codes.

You will also have E-fan control with the ECM, and if you have an auto, TCC control right from the ECM. A manual will have shift light control. I have mine hooked up to an Auto Meter shift light triggered from the ECM.

You don't NEED to get into modifying the bin file or "tuning", but it will help maximize the potential.

I currently have a '7749 running my L28 (inline 6 cyl) in my '73 Datsun 240Z, and wouldn't consider going back to carb for anything. I'm also planning on adding EFI to my uncle's '23 T-Bucket replica, that has mechanical fuel injection, again using a GM ECM, most likely a '7730.

There's lots of potential in the retention of the EFI, and if you delve into the actual tuning aspect you can get even more out of it.

The EFI will definatly keep the ease of driveability up. My Grandfather has a '71 Chev pick up that we have chopped, built a new frame for, tubbed, etc, etc, it has a carb on it, that apparently was rebuilt by a local "carb guru", and never ran right. It still doesn't run as good as it should, but after doing some tuning on the carb a week ago, to get it running, enough to drive to storage and home again, it's ran the best it ever has. We don't drive it much, because it's such a chore to drive, EFI will be going on in the spring, just a basic TBI, but will be much nicer to get in, turn the key and drive away than fight with keeping it running, or need to two-foot it.

My vote is keep the EFI.

Comment

Working...
      X