Idle BLM Solid 128

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle BLM Solid 128

For some reason, my idle BLM (cell 0) stays at a solid 128, it doesn't vary at all. When I'm going down the road and am in cell 1 or 2, it behaves normally. Does anyone have an idea of what might be happening and a suggestion on what I might do to fix this? I'm running a 7727 with $A1 code.

Thanks!

-- Scott

Are you sure there is a problem? What does the O2 look like at idle? How about int? Have you driven it and then checked idle BLM/INT?
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Not totally sure there is a problem but nothing I do seems to cause my BLM at idle to be anything other than 128. I've attached a sample Freescan log file showing idle right after a >10 mile run with everything well warmed up.
      Attached Files

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, stock $A1 setting go to open loop at idle, so BLM and INT would go to 128 at that point.

If you look at my logs I have a prefect 128/128 BLM/INT with my car. I run open loop all the time and always shows 128/128, no matter what the O2 is doing.

Comment

Probably the flag for using airflow for idle. Uncheck if its checked.
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
            Probably the flag for using airflow for idle. Uncheck if its checked.
            Why do you want closed loop idle?

Most guys find that using closed loop idle will experiance surging and hunting for idle.

Comment

My 3400 swap MGB swap and Fiero swap chips have none of those issues. Not much more I can say to explain. I know what I am doing, and most people do not.
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

LOL, There's a bunch of people that I've spoken to that have more experiance than you or I in tuning, and most of the time they will use and recommend open loop idle, especially for engines that have plenty of modifications.

From what I've seen most GM bins use open loop idle as well.

Comment

$A1 does not use open loop idle.

As Ben said, in a stock bin it calculates BPW based on airflow, not by o2 values. usually this makes the BLM's shoot down below 110 with very little change to PW.

looking at your log, the BLM's are 128 but the integrator is moving around just fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
                  Past Builds;
                  1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                  1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                  Current Project;
                  1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
                    As Ben said, in a stock bin it calculates BPW based on airflow, not by o2 values.
                    That would be the definition of "open loop" (or at least a VERY large part of it), to ignore O2 values.

Comment

It does use O2 feedback, which is why the BLM does move even though its based on airflow. You want it to be based on the VE tables however, so you can tune them. Otherwise you have to change the gm/sec values for IAC position and possibly more. I have had to deal with those values as well but only in the extreme cases.

I tune idle first. Neglecting this easy first step makes everything else more difficult. I have done it from stock 3400 to hybrids with camaro pistons, and even complete gen 3 with camaro pistons, cam, headers, larger tb, etc. All have ended up with excellent drivability, and closed loop O2 operation. The only reason I can see someone doing an open loop only, is for a car with long tube headers and no heated O2. You are just asking for problems then.
                      Ben
                      60DegreeV6.com
                      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I do have the "airflow for idle" bit unchecked. Guess I'll ignore it...it actually doesn't idle too bad. I'll try to fine tune it using INT. Thanks again.

-- Scott

Comment

Once you have the fueling somewhat close, you can lock the BLM at 128 by setting min and max to 128, and deal with the int alone. This is much easier for me anyway. For idle, I drive around, then come to a stop and let it sit while I watch it. This way the O2 is hot and the engine is warmed up.
                          Ben
                          60DegreeV6.com
                          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_68B View Post
                            Thanks for the feedback everyone. I do have the "airflow for idle" bit unchecked. Guess I'll ignore it...it actually doesn't idle too bad. I'll try to fine tune it using INT. Thanks again.

-- Scott
                            From the looks of your datalog i wouldn't even mess with it. it's completely normal for the BLM and INT to move around. Yours is dialed in very well.
                            Past Builds;
                            1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                            1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                            Current Project;
                            1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

yeah, then the barometer changes and it gets colder, and it needs tuning again. my point is you can be too anal about the numbers. if BLM is 128 under most or all conditions, you should be very happy. hell, even if you had an idle BLM of 125 and INT of 130, that's still pretty close. one point either BLM or INT is a very small change in fueling. it's hard to not to tune to perfection, but close is just fine, and the ECM will take it from there.
                              Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
                              fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

Working...
                              X