Ok, you OBD-2 gurus, help me out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, you OBD-2 gurus, help me out!

I'm tired of having this stupid Contour in my drive. It's making my truck look bad because they are both Fords, and this thing is still sitting here. I ran a scan at idle in my garage both unloaded and loaded (a/c on, lights on, high beams on, in D, hazards on, brakes lights on, turned the steering wheel back and forth). Tell me what this stupid scan of it is telling me... pretty please

Now, before you say anything about the TPS reading 20%, I did change it out last summer, but the new one read the same. It also read 0% when unhooked so the wire is ok. I don't know why, but Ford has it set up so there is tension on it from the throttle when bolted down, it's not set up to read 0% when you're not touching the gas. I do remember my friend having to set his TPS at .7v way back when, but that was in the days right after OBD-2 came out, and his car was not OBD-2, so I thought maybe it's this strange thing Ford did that carried over. My scan tool is one of the generic ELM-327 version 1.2a that I got on ebay that was sent over from Hong Kong (paid $5, plus $20 shipping). I am using ProScan v5.4 because if I run 5.6, it says that my adapter is not a genuine compatible scan interface, so 5.4 it is. Give me some thoughts of this scan if you would, kind sirs. TYIA.
    Attached Files
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

i don't know what all problems you are having, but toward the end the STFT jumps to like 30+%

btw, i know nothing about obd2.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Then you aren't classified as a guru, but thanks for trying J/k man. The stupid thing surges at idle at times, and it will also like to stall out when you stop. Honestly, I hate the car and wish I didn't have to look at it, but the guy considers me a "Miracle worker" with what I've done with other cars he knows of that I've worked on. The only advantage I have is most of the people I know have 60*v6s (or at least GM vehicles), I'm observant and think logically when it comes to troubleshooting, and I make good use of my internet connection when I am stumped, lol. One webpage said it might be the exhaust came phaser (ZTEC), so I retimed it. No dice. One Contour forums (I know, what's this world coming to?!) a bunch of people had gotten a new under hood engine wiring harness for $150 because Ford was having a bunch of problems with the harnesses in the Contours due to the temps underhood, causing insulation to flake off and causing shorts. Well I went to the local dealer and there is no way I am going to suggest to these people that they pay the $1k for the one harness or $1.5k for the other harness depending on the engineering tag on it. That's just stupid and the car isn't worth doing that to. I've cleaned the MAF for the heck of it, even though it was clean. Plugs and wires are ok, timing is ok, I found a sticker saying Ford replaced the PCM before... I'm at a loss with this stupid thing, but he said to "look at it when you have time", so it's been at the bottom of my list of things to do, hence why it's still here.
      Last edited by pocket-rocket; 05-15-2009, 02:17 AM.
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Have you checked for any vacuum leaks? Sorry that I can't help you more, but that scan is incredibly difficult to read. That's coming from someone who's familiar with reading scan data sheets.
        Your local OBDII moderator

2000 Grand Am GT w/ WOT parts

Comment

My wife bought a 98 2.5 duratec contour about 8 years ago and every other winter I have to replace the idle air control valve. The car would idle up and down and die at idle, but it was always a winter thing for me.

Comment

I agree on the log being a PITA to read. The TPS needs to read 0% at idle, or it will have a fit (like it does). Why it isn't at 0%, who knows.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I just realized I put this in the tuning section instead of the computer related section... At any rate, thanks for the suggestions. I cleaned the IAC, but that doesn't mean it's working for sure. I will also look for a vacuum leak as well.
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

I haven't had time to look at it, been at much bigger things, like a 97 Ford E-150 van. The funny thing is, when I plug my computer into it, it also reads 19-20% TPS at idle so I don't think that ProScan is 100% compatible with my scan tool interface. Now to find which one would work best for me (and with my stupid Chinese knockoff interface) and be relatively cheap for me to get, since I'm flat broke...
                -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

here's something that reminded me of: is it reading the voltage and converting it to a percentage based off of that? or is it actually using the datastream TPS% value?

i've tried to find some formula to get TPS voltage to convert to a percentage for some older obd1 ECMs that don't output a % value, but haven't gotten it right yet. they always read a minimum of 10% when its actually 0%.

maybe its related, but probably not, thought i would just throw it out there.
                  1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                  Latest nAst1 files here!
                  Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

You probably are on to something there, although I have no clue since it doesn't give me a voltage reading, just the %. I've pretty much ruled out the TPS though because of the van reading the same thing, and when I put the Contour to the floor, it reads 98-100% depending on if I smash the carpet or not, lol.
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Working...
                    X