This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will a 60* fit in a saturn? maybe thats my answer

i know ive been asking a lot of questions about swapping 60*s into anything & everything lately & its just because i want to build my project car-i want it to be small & light-and be powered by a 60* 3.4 or 3.5/3.5vvt-ive been looking for a chasis thats light-yet nice looking-will fit the engine-and is readily available on the cheap. ive found exactly what ive been looking for with saturn! with their usually nice/sporty looks & light weight-they also have engines & transmissions that just seem to LOVE blowing up/going out-making 1st gen sc1-sc2's (which-with an aftermarket front bumper look great in my opinion) an excellent choice as they are EASILY available with engines/trans for 2-300 in good shape WITH the engine & trans still in them! i can remove this junk & sell/scrap whatever of it is "good" (if you can call it good) and put that money into the swap. also, considering i have a machinist bddy that will help me out on the cheap-IF the engine will fit without relocating the firewall completely-im looking at this as far as cost

300 for a chasis
    3-400 for an engine
    300 for a trans
    $100-150 for a wiring harness (if it doesnt come with the engine), as well as $50 or less to have the engine/tranny mounts made.

so all i need to figure out at this point is
    A: will it fit? B: what will i do about getting the proper cv shafts?
    C: how much of a problem would the smaller tires be if i went the route of an auto trans like a 4t60e to start?

i figure at 200hp and 2500lbs of weight with the v6 & trans-without any modifications the hp/tq ratio is as good as an early 90's camaro z28 & at 225hp it has a good enough hp to weight ratio to hang with a late 90s-2000's z28 camaro-so with the 3.5 (if i do go the 3.5 route)-aftermarket chip (if i can find one)-good exhaust and good cai-mild porting/gasket matching & a crank scraper- i should have enough power to hang with most newer sports cars while getting great mpg-all for less than $1500.
    Last edited by no_doz; 03-06-2009, 06:43 PM.

40 views & not one person on here with a saturn? smart crowd!!!

Comment

i'll give you 1 reply...

for the right amount of money, anything can fit
      hell i've seen a LT1 mounted transversely in a lumina, so i don't see why a 60 wouldn't fit in a saturn, its not a very wide motor, kind of on the tall side, but thats what the 60* bank angle does: less width, slightly taller.
      but that just gives you an excuse for a cowl hood/ram air/whatever.

EDIT: and no i don't have/want a saturn
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I don't have/want a Saturn either. Do what I did... Go out to a junk yard, find one missing an engine/transmission, take pictures and a piece of paper and a tape measure and start documenting. I did this with a Chevette for a project idea I had years ago :P Research, man!
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

actually i'm fairly certain you could fit a 60* in a metro with little/no work to the firewall, so i'd say its pretty safe
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
            X