Fuel Injection to Carburetion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Injection to Carburetion

I need your help. I want to convert from a fuel injected system to carburetion. This is for a V-6 3.8L 3800 Series engine that came out of a 2000 (year) Camaro. I would like to run an Edlebrock intake with probably a 500 cfm Edlebrock carburetor. I just wanted to confirm that the new intake will bolt up? The engine will be installed in a different car. It will be replacing a four cylinder engine. Does anyone see any problems
    with this conversion? While we are on the subject, does anyone know where I can pick up some nice after market vavle covers and air cleaner other than Edlebrock? Also, an after market cam and lifters, and headers for this engine. Just to give it a beat that sounds nice. I'm not going to try to break any records. Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Theres only one problem 3.8 is a 90 degree engine not a 60 degree so your at the wrong page.
    1995 Cutlass Supreme 3100 SFI
    Cold Air K&N Filter
    58mm TB
    Dynomax Duel Exhaust with Performance Catalytic Converter
    FFP Underdrive Crank Pulley
    1/4 mile 15.65 at 90.8 mph

Comment

Fuel Injection to Carburetion/Engine Conversion

Wow! That's a start. Sorry about that. At least I know where to begin. Any comments or suggestions on what I'm trying to accomplish? Thanks for your support.

Comment

No problem im sure someone will answer your question.Lets see will you will need new computer or a change,depending if its throttle body or fuel venturies.You will have to recalabrate that.Maybee someone can give him a link to 3.8 site that would better help you.See ya
        1995 Cutlass Supreme 3100 SFI
        Cold Air K&N Filter
        58mm TB
        Dynomax Duel Exhaust with Performance Catalytic Converter
        FFP Underdrive Crank Pulley
        1/4 mile 15.65 at 90.8 mph

Comment

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

I dunno if it matters that the engine is from a 4th gen but that is one board I can think of. The other is v6camaro.com or camarov6.com....I forget which it is.
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Try http://www.l67swap.com

Comment

Engine Conversion/Injection to Carburetion

Hey Guys, thanks for your support. I will be checking into the links that you have provided. I have done some research. It appears that the PT Cruiser has two computers. One of them takes care of the engine and related components, the other takes care of the body and related components. I have to find some way to isolate the engine computer wiring for this conversion. If anyone has any other comments or suggestions, I'll be glad to hear them. Have a nice day.

Comment

My question is why are you wanting to switch to a carb setup?

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out what car we are talking about! It started out as a Camaro and now the discussion has gone over to a PT Cruiser... wtf?!?

And yeah, the whole switching over to a carb really doesn't make much sense to me either.
                  -Brad-
                  89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                  sigpic
                  Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

makes sense to me, makes sense, but still pointless, he's taking a 3.8 liter out of a camaro, then putting it in a PT Cruiser and carbing it. So you'll have a motor thats heavier and less powerful than the turbo pt, super.....
                    The difference between an individual terrorist and a government in some cases may be simply that the former has a bomb but doesn\'t have an air force.

Comment

Engine Conversion/Injection to Carburetion

OK, sorry for the confusion. The engine that I intend to use is from a 2000
                      Camaro. I want to install it into my 2002 PT Cruiser. The PT Cruiser does not have a Turbo. The Turbo's came out in 2003. So we are talking a 150 horsepower 4 cylinder engine that I want replaced. The main reason I wanted to go with carburetion instead of fuel injection was to simplify the conversion process. I don't know much about the Power Control Module systems that the cars are equipped with today. I just felt that it would have been an easier conversion going with carburetion. However, it appears that the majority of you who are responding, all prefer a fuel injected system. So, I guess that will be the system that I will go with. My biggest problem from the start is, the engine compartment of the PT Cruiser is short (front to rear). I don't want to cut into the firewall unless it is absolutely necessary. If I go with a TBI system, it would have to be one that is positioned in the front of the engine due to the limited space. I hope this helps to give you a clearer picture of what my intentions are. I appreciate your comments and suggestions. Everytime you respond, I learn something new. Keep them coming, I need all the support I can get. Have a nice day.

Comment

Well, the reason I think you should stick with fuel injection is because you are going to use the engine and trans from a donor car. Since this is the case, you should just grab the computer also and you are set to go.

You make reference to a distributor. If you go with a 3x00, you will not need it because they all have DIS. If I remember correctly, even the *cough3800cough* are DIS.

If I was doing a swap on a PT cruiser, I would save my money and get the 426 Hemi swap.

Comment

Yes, I edited the the part about the distributor. I do know about the 426 Hemi swap. I have been watching his progress very closely. That is too big a job for me
                          to take on. It will be an awesome machine when he is done.

Comment

And who might you be talking about? I've seen a place out in California that has done the swap before. I've also seen a guy that put a blown SBC in one. Personally, I think you should just get a new turbo engine and go with that and a manual tranny.

Comment

The person I was referring to is Mike Schreiber of Delray Beach, Florida. You can
                              check out his web-site at: http://www.trickcruiser.com/ When the site opens, click on Custom Projects. Be sure to click on page-2 of his picture thumbnails. There you will see what he is doing with that PT Cruiser. Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X