Where do these two vacuum lines go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do these two vacuum lines go?

I am in the process of changing my heater core on my 85' 2.8 V6 cherokee. I have two vacuum lines that I am not sure where they go. One is black and the other is purple in color (not sure if these are the factory colors if it helps). Both of them run though the same grommet in the fire wall, just above the a.c. expansion valve. One of them runs from a valve on the lower heater hose (coming away from the heater core, and then through the fire wall. The other one goes from what looks like a black can (there are two of them side by side) through the fire wall at the same place as the other one. Does anyone know where these two lines go after they pass through the fire wall?? I would appreciate any help.

My guess is the "black can" is a vacuum booster. I'm not positive, but how hot the heat is is controlled by vacuum. The more vacuum applied the more hot water that valve will allow through the heater. Apparently you have them unhooked from the inside? You should see some sort of vacuum connections in there(heater controls). Try on one and see if you can hear a hiss when the heater is turned up and see if the def/heater gets hot. The one coming from the black can should be full vacuum.
    '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Comment

Can is usually the charcoal cannister and the other would be a ball usually for a vacuum cannister.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Hamilton View Post
        My guess is the "black can" is a vacuum booster. I'm not positive, but how hot the heat is is controlled by vacuum. The more vacuum applied the more hot water that valve will allow through the heater. Apparently you have them unhooked from the inside? You should see some sort of vacuum connections in there(heater controls). Try on one and see if you can hear a hiss when the heater is turned up and see if the def/heater gets hot. The one coming from the black can should be full vacuum.

I think that both lines are functional. The line from the vac resivor is pulling vacuum when the engine is running. The line that runs from the heater valve into the cab is hooked where it is supposed to be. When I plug that line in on the heater controls and the A/C is on, it makes a loud hissing noise. I can pull that line out and plug it with my figer it is defiently pulling vac as well while the engine is running. Everything appers to be hooked up correct, what am I missing? Shold I hear a hissing noise when the heater valve vac line is hooked up?

Comment

Working...
        X