X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is my car slower than a Lumina?

Originally posted by 1QUICKHATCH's sig
    1992 lumina 4 door 3.1L 3spd 17.02@79.87mph
    My Celebrity weighs a couple hundred pounds less, has the same engine, and might have a more agressive final drive (assuming his 3sp has the economy 2.84, I have 3.33). Why am I running a mid-18, and even a nineteen?!

I've been thinking that it's the transmission. I have tentative plans to rebuild it in February, but I'd like to hear what you guys think. I've put 26k on the engine since it was rebuilt, it runs awesome and gets 27-29 mpg highway, and basically everything but the tranny is new or refreshed. I even carried less fuel (and less wife ) and had better, wider tires for a later run this past April and the best I could do is a 19.3. I don't have the slips anymore, but it only went downhill from there. Hell, my '86 Suburban (350, 700R4, 3.73) ran a 19.2, this much lighter car should be able to do way better.
    Last edited by LeftVentricle; 09-29-2008, 09:36 PM.
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

I got 40 mpg all highway with my 3.1/4T60 (3.33 FDR) grand prix. How much does a celebrity wagon weigh?
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

According to the title I got from the PO, 2900# empty.
      Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

Are you spinning at all? Looks (from your sig) like it's low in the back.
        Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

It will spin if I floor it. I don't think it's low in the back... Here's a larger picture, with bonus daughers.

Comment

And you are sure you have 3.33 FDR like the W bodies?
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

My SPID lists GX3 as one of the options, which is the 3.33 FDR.

Comment

Hmm, are you running the stock 89 computer/chip? Do you have any way to scan?
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I don't know for sure. The PO said he hooked up the Celebrity computer and chip. I have no scanning tools. To be honest, I don't even know if this engine actually displaces 3.1 liters.

The PO said the stock 2.8 cracked the block, so he swapped heads with a Cavalier 3.1 which had a bad head and dropped that in after doing a dingleberry hone of the bores (and little else; I've had to replace fuel injectors, alternator, radiator, axles, brakes and shocks/struts all around). I know 2.8 and 3.1 are mechanically identical aside from the crank and pistons (so I have no ready way of telling), but unless the transmission is being a ridiculous drain, this car should be faster.

Comment

It's a wagon with around 100 WHP, it's not going to go fast.. unless you make it go fast with an engine swap or a turbo. 18's and 19's in the 1/4 is about right. A stock 3.1 automatic cavalier runs mid to high 16's weighing in at around 2700 lbs.

Honestly, with that setup i'd just be happy with it running and getting around town. Don't abuse it if you want it to last.
                    Past Builds;
                    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                    Current Project;
                    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
                      It's a wagon with around 100 WHP, it's not going to go fast.. unless you make it go fast with an engine swap or a turbo. 18's and 19's in the 1/4 is about right. A stock 3.1 automatic cavalier runs mid to high 16's weighing in at around 2700 lbs.
                      Assuming a ludicrous 25% drivetrain loss, yes, this 3.1 is only getting 105 hp to the ground. How does +200 lbs equal a loss of two seconds? And then, in the case of the W-body, how does another +200 on top of that equal a gain of more than a second? Isn't the rule of thumb a tenth for every hundred pounds, either direction? Not attacking you personally, it's just a little frustrating that my car theoretically has the same power as, but is slower than, a heavier car. And honestly...
                      Originally posted by Superdave
                      It's a wagon
                      I don't think it being a wagon has much to do with it. It's got very similar aero and nearly identical weight as non-wagons. I'm sure if this were a sedan or coupe and everything else were the same I'd still have posted this thread, but probably would have been more upset.
                      Originally posted by Superdave
                      Honestly, with that setup i'd just be happy with it running and getting around town. Don't abuse it if you want it to last.
                      I don't see it as abuse when I've only tracked it twice and don't engage in stoplight wars. Besides, a GM car will run poorly for longer than most other cars will run at all. However, I intend to fix everything else wrong with this car once I get my tax return in February.

...Again.

Comment

Working...
                      X