Random 3400 specs needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random 3400 specs needed

Alright, so I we are working on making headers for a 3400 and need a few specs that I can't seem to find anywhere else....

-VE
    -port size
    -EGT

Now, what is the actual redline? 5800 or 6k? I have seen both listed.

Where also looking for some people to buy some of these when they are finished. Price? Not cheap. But they will be properly designed and great quality......they can be made out of about anything you want.......even inconel if you want......the prototype would be out of mild, and I'd get my final set out of stainless.
    -1996 Beretta
    3400 SFI / 4T60-E

-1991 Grand Prix SE
    3.4L DOHC / HM-284

Why do those matter for header design?
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Port size is just about 1.5", but due to the shape, it's actually a little larger. I used 1.5" tubing for my headers, and had to punch the tube out to the corners.

I also don't see what VE and EGT have to do with header design, besides VE is based on WOT only, and would make for a pretty inefficiant engine down low, to design based on that, and not actuall RPM band. Also EGT will change according to load, fuel delivery, RPM, amount of time at RPM, etc, This one I really can see how it effects the design, but maybe the material at which point mild steel should be fine, for most applications.

Comment

I believe fuel cutoff occurs at 6200 RPM

Cliff Scott
        89 BerettaGT
        89 Volvo740
        Cliff Scott
        89 BerettaGT
        04 AleroGX

Comment

i thought redline on the 3400 was 6200 rpm as well.
          Colin
          92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid 13.99@ 95.22 (2004)
          90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 10.54 @ 129mph.

Comment

Port size is needed to help find gas velocity.

EGT is needed to find the density of the gas.

VE is needed to find out actually how much air is being moved to help tune the headers correctly.

All of this will help find the proper primary size.
            -1996 Beretta
            3400 SFI / 4T60-E

-1991 Grand Prix SE
            3.4L DOHC / HM-284

Comment

where did you find the formula that uses those. The only formulas I have seen use powerband, and power. Port size means jack shit. VE would be your powerband and power. You can use math to get a range for primary length, but only dyno testing different lengths will get it perfect.
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Yeah I'm in the same boat, I can see how it might be used, but nothing concrete that will get the dimentions any closer than using other methods to calculate.

Velocity will change with RPM throttle postion and many other things.

Density will change with AFR, which yes will effect EGT, but also many other variables will effect it, and will relate back to velocity, possibly.

VE can change with something as simple as air temp, or even load can effect "measured VE".

Can you type out this calculation or provide a link? I'm interested in stuff like this.
                It would seem that using things like this would tune for a very narrow power band, as that would be the only time that all of these variables would be the same for a given vehicle under the same conditions, etc.

Comment

Alright, well, heres the deal......a friend of mine is in mechanical engineering here at Iowa State. I am not very familar at all with the calculations that are being used......he is however, using a lot of thermo dynamics and crap like that. Either which way, does ANYONE know the above specs???
                  -1996 Beretta
                  3400 SFI / 4T60-E

-1991 Grand Prix SE
                  3.4L DOHC / HM-284

Comment

The specs change during different points along the power band, so there really isn't any numbers to give. We might be able to give you numbers, but are they for the band you are desiring? Its hard to give you figures for an ever-changing variable.
                    -Brad-
                    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                    sigpic
                    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi
                      The specs change during different points along the power band, so there really isn't any numbers to give. We might be able to give you numbers, but are they for the band you are desiring? Its hard to give you figures for an ever-changing variable.
                      That's what I was trying to say, why is you always have a way of saying what I want in less words. LOL

Comment

Just give us a range under WOT.
                        -1996 Beretta
                        3400 SFI / 4T60-E

-1991 Grand Prix SE
                        3.4L DOHC / HM-284

Comment

Fuel cut off is 6000
                          2006 G6 GTP MT6
                          Vector Motorsports ECU
                          Classic Performance 2.5 Inch Exhaust
                          v6h.o. Downpipe
                          Custom Intake

Comment

i dont know anyone with a 660 engine that has a EGT gauge on their car.

EGT's are mainly used only by the Turbo boy's, and then you have different EGT's due to the different temps chucked out by the turbo...
                            EGT's will varry with the load and the Fuel supply of the engine so again thats not a constant either.
                            Colin
                            92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid 13.99@ 95.22 (2004)
                            90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 10.54 @ 129mph.

Comment

Yes, we understand this. We where just wanting a range......
                              -1996 Beretta
                              3400 SFI / 4T60-E

-1991 Grand Prix SE
                              3.4L DOHC / HM-284

Comment

Working...
                              X