1999 Chevy 3100's prone to head gasket failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Chevy 3100's prone to head gasket failure

I bought a 1999 Chevy 3100 for a project.

I know I will replace the intake gaskets,before the installation into the other car.

But,are the 3100's prone to head gasket failure? I have been told not worry about the head gaskets,Just replace the intake gaskets.

I thank you for any advice you may provide. Jimmy

I wouln't say never but headgasket failures are rare on these engines. The lower intake manifold gaskets are the ones that cause issues. Replace them with Felpro's permadry set as they have a metal frame and look up the revised torque sequence.
    1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

head gaskets aren't a common issue unless you regularly or severely overheat the engine.

as Azrael said, get the good fel-pro LIM gaskets and you'll likely never have another internal engine issue.
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I am curious,anybody known what color the intake gasket, GM used on 1999 3.1L engine?

Comment

By color, I am assuming you mean color of the rubber on the gasket? I want to say its either black or orange. Why?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
          -Brad-
          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
          sigpic
          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

If I am correct,the improved gaskets rubber is black. The 1999 3.1L project engine intake gasket rubber is black.
            I was wondering if the gaskets had already been changed. The money I save on gaskets,I can use for other improvements.

Comment

Do the gaskets have a metal disc in them, near the water ports? If so, then they are the newer gaskets. With that said, not sure I would reuse them regardless...
              -Brad-
              89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
              sigpic
              Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
                Do the gaskets have a metal disc in them, near the water ports? If so, then they are the newer gaskets. With that said, not sure I would reuse them regardless...
                I wouldn't. I would use the ones with the full metal frame like Azrael and Robert mentioned. I've seen what kind of damage an uncheked leak can do. Unless you like pulling your engine to clean the "sludge" out and replace all bearings after running it for a while, I wouldn't chance it by cheapening out on gaskets while it's apart now. At least that's my $.02, FWIW.
                -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                Originally posted by Jay Leno
                Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

The engine is still complete. I was wondering if the intake gasket had already been replaced. That is the reason,I asked about the original 1999 GM gasket rubber color. Felpro part # MS98004T is the gasket set I am going to use,to replace the old gaskets.

Comment

If you don't want a possibility of a leak, I would go with the MS98003T set. The MS98004T is the old plastic style that will break around the coolant passages and leak coolant either outside of your engine, or into the lifter valley mixing with the oil, or both.

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Man,, don't give me a heart attack, Jon!!! I just got a set of the MS 98004 T gaskets and HAD to look just now... Relief!!! MS 98004 T is indeed the Metal framed gasket set used in a 99 Lumina (what I have).. Maybe you meant the MS 98003 T is the old and MS 98004 T is the new style??? Whatever!!! SURE got my heart going... Got that order from Rock Auto and it took nearly a month and MUCH grief to finally get all of the stuff I ordered...
                      ThanxXx,,
                      Tom...
                      As far as the color of the Rubber goes,,, when GM updated O-Rings they went from a Black Rubber O-Ring to the Orange colored one. Orange is PTFE(?) material. Also some newer seals are orange as well.... Perhaps they updated to Orange Rubber in their gaskets as well??? Just a thought...
                      Last edited by walterdude; 10-18-2010, 07:35 PM.

Comment

O'kay, so MS98003T or MS98004T is the problem solver gasket set I need?

I see right now this engine might be a pain in the butt. No wonder I like my 1966 Chevy truck so much.
                        Last edited by Arisaka; 10-18-2010, 07:33 PM.

Comment

This is the most complete kit available. If you reuse your intake manifold bolts, make sure you apply a thread locker so they don't back out.
                          Ben
                          60DegreeV6.com
                          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by walterdude View Post
                            Man,, don't give me a heart attack, Jon!!! I just got a set of the MS 98004 T gaskets and HAD to look just now... Relief!!! MS 98004 T is indeed the Metal framed gasket set used in a 99 Lumina (what I have).. Maybe you meant the MS 98003 T is the old and MS 98004 T is the new style??? Whatever!!! SURE got my heart going... Got that order from Rock Auto and it took nearly a month and MUCH grief to finally get all of the stuff I ordered...
                            ThanxXx,,
                            Tom...
                            As far as the color of the Rubber goes,,, when GM updated O-Rings they went from a Black Rubber O-Ring to the Orange colored one. Orange is PTFE(?) material. Also some newer seals are orange as well.... Perhaps they updated to Orange Rubber in their gaskets as well??? Just a thought...
                            Sorry Walter. No heart attack intended.

When I checked part numbers on one of the parts stores web sites, the 4T set looked like the plastic set while the 3T looked like the metal ones. To be safe, you could either buy from Ben since I know he has the right ones, or buy local so you can open them up right there to make sure you have the metal framed ones.
                            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

I plan on buying gaskets from WOT-Tech. That way I know I will get the right gaskets.

Comment

Working...
                              X