No announcement yet.

Camaro 3.4L Internals. Are they forged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro 3.4L Internals. Are they forged?

I have heard it said that the crankshaft and the rods in a 1994-'95 Camaro are forged internals from the factory?

Is this true? If so, what power rating can the rods hold?

Is there a good place to go to get stock-compression, forged pistons for a 3.4L PR from a Camaro?

Thanks!

The connecting rods are forged steel, and the crank is nodular iron. THe crank is good for over 400 hp but we aren't sure exactly where it will have issues. Balanced and prepped but nothing you shouldn't do anyway to a stock crank when you are going for that type of power. Not sure on connecting rods really.

Wiseco, Ross, JE, etc have made pistons for the 3.4. I think wiseco is the cheapest, especially if you do a bulk order.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Rods are good for 7k rpms says the chevy performance manual. The rods are forged but the weakest link may be the rods bolts. All pistons that are forged are going to be custom.
      Last edited by fivepointhustla; 01-12-2007, 02:26 PM.
      Clean Feet Pet Clean Up
      Pet Waste Removal Omaha
      We offer dog waste removal and cat waste removal services.
      (402) 320-3824, We service the Omaha, Ne. metropolitan area.

Comment

stock rods can be improved upon. by polishing the beam of the rod to remove the flashing will increase the strength. the flashing causes a stress point, and when removed, the stress point is now gone. also installing arp rod bolts is a good idea. they are much stronger than stock, and i wouldnt trust reusing stock rodbolts over again.

the pistons are cast. only factory boosted motors got forged pistons, and at that, not all of them.

Comment

I agree with above that the crank is cast. We have all seen evidence of them workng well over 400 HP. If they were to break they will break the same spot as any crank and that is at the radii. To improve the strength of the crank you could under cut the mains but this process will allow you to increase the size of the raduis. You can also have it heat treated to improve its durability. But all this is completly un necessary for most builds.
          1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
          1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
          Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I heard from a GM mechanic who is performance nut that the late 4th gen camaros came with forged 3.4 cranks and rods. As far as the pistons they are cast but you can get forged ones very easy, either swap your pistons for the ones that come in the turbocharged dodge stealths or mitsubishi 3000gt. These will drop your compression down to 8.2:1. Other option is to got to this web site, http://www.ftpp.net/V6InterEngine.htm#Pistons they have forged pistons, just order the ones you want. They also have cams, bearings, rods, ect.

ANYTHING can be done with these engines, if you are willing to put the work, time, brain power and money into them. That will include taking down your V8 counterparts........ There are stories of people with these engines in Baja rigs breaking 800 wheel power.

Comment

You mechanic friend is wrong. The 3.4 did not get a forged crank. Stories of baja rigs with 800 hp? Where?
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

The stories are just things I have heard from people in the off-road shops around here. I am also fairly sure that those late cranks are forged, when you pull them out they are totaly differnt color and are less porous on the surfaces as compared to the nodular iron units. The cars that might have them are only the firebirds and camaros that are 3.4 engines and 1999 through 2002.

Comment

um, yeah whatever. There are no 3.4 firebirds in 99-02.
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SageMoonblade View Post
                    The stories are just things I have heard from people in the off-road shops around here. I am also fairly sure that those late cranks are forged, when you pull them out they are totaly differnt color and are less porous on the surfaces as compared to the nodular iron units. The cars that might have them are only the firebirds and camaros that are 3.4 engines and 1999 through 2002.
                    No 3.4 only 3.8s after 95. NO 60*V6 came with a forged crank, forged rods but not cranks. I guess your forged meter is broken. j/k'n
                    Clean Feet Pet Clean Up
                    Pet Waste Removal Omaha
                    We offer dog waste removal and cat waste removal services.
                    (402) 320-3824, We service the Omaha, Ne. metropolitan area.

Comment

They do now, but that started in 04 for the gen 4 motors.
                      Ben
                      60DegreeV6.com
                      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Well I guess if you dont want to look into it, you could always get an dodge intrepid 3.5 crankshaft ans some special made bearings....... yes it does drop right in.

Comment

So you want us to look into an engine that doesn't exist? I'm confused...
                          -Brad-
                          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                          sigpic
                          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Got any pictures of that dodge crank in a 60V6? Its a dodge 90V6 with less stroke and smaller mains so I have to wonder at the logic behind this. Id also like to see the cost of these cusom bearings. Id also like to see this mythical 99-02 F body 3.4 crankshaft you speak of.
                            Ben
                            60DegreeV6.com
                            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

The 3.5 in the intrepid is a 60 degree engine as is the 3.0 in the stealth.

Comment

Working...
                              X