Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 1st gen hybrid

Can anyone shed some light?

I'm thinking of doing a top end swap to aluminum for my first gen 2.8 engine and have some questions.
    - Does the 3500 LIM fit the 3400 heads? I want to use the 3500 UIM with a ’96 DOHC TB I have that is already modified for the Fiero Throttle cable. This is currently installed in a Trueleo intake.
    - What would be the length of the pushrods required to run with Flat tappets?
    - Can anyone provide me with pushrod guide plates for the AL heads?
    - Does anyone has or knows where can I get off-the-shelf forged slugs for a 2.8 2nd gen? If I use these with the iron head gaskets I should be around 8.94 static CR. Still good for turbo.
    - Does the 3400 fuel rail fits the 3500 LIM? I need a return line for the RR-FPR

More info here -> http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthre...n-top-end-swap
    Last edited by yeyo_racing; 04-14-2010, 10:52 PM.

I don't the 3500 lower intake fits the 3400 heads. Different ports.

You need a pushrod checker from crane or comp to check the required lenth and preload.

You don't need guide plates unless your using aftermaket or early stamped steel rocker arms.

On pistons your having to go aftermarket cuz of your rod selection if going with stock pin or sbc rod pins.
    88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

Thanks for the response TurboGTU.

Well it seems the forged pistons are out of the question for now. However I do need guide plates cuz I'm planning on using the Crane Gold rockers with ARP studs I have available. These were originally going to be installed on the iron heads.

I guess the pushrod checker would need to be from WOT. How do I know which length is correct?

I found a good deal for a complete intake system from a 3500 with fuel rail and thermo housing. Could there be someone here willing to swap a 3500 LIM for a 3400 LIM?

Also, does anyone here have pictures of the Beretta 2.8 engine mounts? I’m looking for alternatives since the Fiero dogbone bracket can’t be re-used and I noticed these don’t have a dogbone.

Comment

I can only think of the early 3100 (1994-95) guide plates working. You'd need to machine your heads for those studs from the iron head to use them on the alum head. I know the info is here. I know there might be some grinding on the lower intake to fit the gold rockers. After that, check your cam manifactures specs for lifter preload after having your rocker setup ready and heads bolted down. The preload is the distance from the lifter lock to the top of the plunger. Should be in the neighborhood of .010 to .035 depending on cam manufacture. Then after setting the preload with the pushrod checker, measure the lenth of it from tip to tip and have them custom made from crane, or the like.
        88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

TurboGTU

I tried the ARP rocker studs on the aluminum heads and they bolt right up, so no drilling required there. Thanks for the writeup on the purshrod length. I have another question. Do all 3400 LIMs and UIMs have large port?

Comment

Is this intake any good? How can I identify it as a good one with good flowing properties? The person said is from a 93-95 Camaro but as far as I know these didn't come with AL heads. Can anyone shed some light?
            Attached Files

Comment

Definitely didn't come off of a Camaro! Since it has the lettering on the top, it most likely came from a 99+ 3400, which would include the Grand Am GT, the various vans, Alero, and a few others. I say 99+ because most of the vans from 96-99 had a bare plenum (ie, the 3400SFI wasn't on the top). Try to find a large, 2 digit number on the lower section and report that back.
              -Brad-
              89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
              sigpic
              Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Preload is measured from the total hydraulic plunger travel. Divide by 2 and that is where you want the lifter to preload to. Roller lifters want about .075".
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
                  Definitely didn't come off of a Camaro! Since it has the lettering on the top, it most likely came from a 99+ 3400, which would include the Grand Am GT, the various vans, Alero, and a few others. I say 99+ because most of the vans from 96-99 had a bare plenum (ie, the 3400SFI wasn't on the top). Try to find a large, 2 digit number on the lower section and report that back.
                  It doesn't have any large numbers on any of the sides. At least from the pictures that the owner provided me. Does that means is from 99- and not from a van?

Comment

Well, anything 96-99 would come from a van anyway, as the 3400s weren't put in cars until 99-00 (depending on model). Not sure when the vans started getting the 3400SFI on the plenum. I just know that for a few years in there, the van plenums didn't have it.

As far as if its a good one or not, can't really tell from the pictures provided. The large port (which this is) are the best flowing overall, but there are slight differences between the years that provide slight flow improvements over the other years. If the price is right, I would probably say it will work just fine. If you need a slightly better flowing intake, you can always upgrade at a later time.
                    -Brad-
                    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                    sigpic
                    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

The pics show the area where there would normally be a 2 digit number but its blank. Also the EGR points to it being the pre '00 minivan intake. I guess they must have come with the 3400 written on top and the old style EGR. But for the right price it would still be worthwhile. A far cry from the Gen2 top end.

Comment

Originally posted by WrathOfSocrus View Post
                        But for the right price it would still be worthwhile. A far cry from the Gen2 top end.
                        And even farther from the Gen1 top end from a Fiero. I guess the slightly lower flow won't be so much of a limitation when running on boost. Like bszopi said, I can upgrade at a later time. Heck, this is already an upgrade.

This person is selling me this whole setup for $125. I belive is a good deal. What do you think? Should I jump on it?

Thank you all for your replies.

Comment

Both upper and lower with fuel rail and injectors as you have pictured is a pretty good deal for $125. The pushrod guides you need can also be found on all Gen 2 motors (2.8 and 3.1 aluminum head). I'm sure if you search google there are plenty of sites that show you how to determine pushrod length with a picture tutorial.

Comment

Working...
                          X