No announcement yet.

262's 85 Fiero SE LX9 F23 swap thread lots of pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome build! Unfortunately all my research, advice from others, and personal goals have led me to the exact same build! I was going to do a fully built/forged 3400 but was told I'd still be ahead with a stock 3500 for a turbo.

What did you end up doing for the fuel rail?

-Convictedredneck (PFF)

Comment

• Originally posted by BackwoodsFiero View Post
      Awesome build! Unfortunately all my research, advice from others, and personal goals have led me to the exact same build! I was going to do a fully built/forged 3400 but was told I'd still be ahead with a stock 3500 for a turbo.

What did you end up doing for the fuel rail?

-Convictedredneck (PFF)

I ended up with a 3400 fuel rail, bolts right in, but I do still need to make new lines.
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
        I ended up with a 3400 fuel rail, bolts right in, but I do still need to make new lines.
        I used -6AN braided stainless hose. A little pricey but it looks sharp and lasts a long time. Do not use stock size fuel line, too restrictive for your goals. IIRC, 3/8"ID supports up to 500 HP range.....1/2"ID is good up to ?1200 HP? range.

A strong 90 degree in a fuel line has the same resistance as 10 feet of straight line.......a strange fact I picked up somewhere.

Another reason why I like the braided SS hose, no sharp angle, smooth curves.
        1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

• yeah, I haven't built the fuel system yet. it's on the list...
          "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• What injectors are you planning on using?
            '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
            '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

• 63 pound dekas.

Lingenfelter Performance Engineering was founded in 1973 and is a globally recognized brand in the performance engineering industry offering engine building, engine and chassis tuning components and installation for vehicle owners; component product development; services to manufacturers, aftermarket, and original equipment suppliers; prototype and preparation of product development vehicles.

Comment

• And which ECM/code are you using?
                '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
                '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

• I'm going obd2, using a pontiac montana minivan ECM and these pinouts

Comment

• TURBO!

Turbo is in, knock sensor is in, oil pressure sender is in! going to try to get the intercooler mounted up tomorrow.

Comment

• Nice, clock that oil feed/return.

Turbo in a fiero.....lol...ZOOOM
                      1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

• Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
                        Nice, clock that oil feed/return.

Turbo in a fiero.....lol...ZOOOM
                        The feed is facing us in the picture. I figured that would give the straightest shot for oil drainback, is that the right way to think about it?

Comment

• Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
                          The feed is facing us in the picture. I figured that would give the straightest shot for oil drainback, is that the right way to think about it?
                          The oil drain must face down and no more then 12-15 degrees either way from perpendicular. If not the oil seal could blow in the turbine or compressor, not good. Best if you can have it drain straight down or at most 5 degrees towards the pan it drains into.

The oil drain must have a non-restrictive gravity flow to the oil pan and dump into the oil pan above the oil level. The path also can't have dips in the line where oil can rest. I used -10AN braided stainless oil line, larger is better when it comes to oil drain. Any excessive resistance can put back pressure on the oil seals, blow them. The turbo will billow smoke when you gun it out the tail pipe.

The feed also needs the proper restriction according to the bearing type. An open oil feed puts too much pressure on the seals as well. A lot of turbo oil feed adapters have the pin hole restriction. I believe ball bearing gets the greater restrictive type and the journal bearings get less restriction. A quick google will turn up what you need.

When you clock the turbo, do not remove the bolts just loosen them and rotate. Loosen the exhaust side to clock the center housing and loosen the compressor to clock the comp out direction.
                          Last edited by TGP37; 09-10-2012, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
                            The oil drain must face down and no more then 12-15 degrees either way from perpendicular. If not the oil seal could blow in the turbine or compressor, not good. Best if you can have it drain straight down or at most 5 degrees towards the pan it drains into.

The oil drain must have a non-restrictive gravity flow to the oil pan and dump into the oil pan above the oil level. The path also can't have dips in the line where oil can rest. I used -10AN braided stainless oil line, larger is better when it comes to oil drain. Any excessive resistance can put back pressure on the oil seals, blow them. The turbo will billow smoke when you gun it out the tail pipe.

The feed also needs the proper restriction according to the bearing type. An open oil feed puts too much pressure on the seals as well. A lot of turbo oil feed adapters have the pin hole restriction. I believe ball bearing gets the greater restrictive type and the journal bearings get less restriction. A quick google will turn up what you need.

When you clock the turbo, do not remove the bolts just loosen them and rotate. Loosen the exhaust side to clock the center housing and loosen the compressor to clock the comp out direction.
                            Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Comment

• bought some 1/2" aluminum fuel line today, wasn't able to get the intercooler done though, maybe tomorrow...

Comment

• I will NEVER buy an automatic Fiero and convert to a 5 speed again after installing the clutch line! but alas, it is in, and secure, all that needs to be done is to hook it up to the master and slave, bleed it and go!

in other news, I started the intercooler mounting, and I'll try to finish it tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X