3x00 Headers and cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3x00 Headers and cat

Okay, so headers. I've got a 1997 Malibu with 3100, stock so far. Russell and I were talking about mods today and headers came up, so since I hadn't looked up the S&S 3400 headers in quite a while, I thought I'd look them up again.

Well as is shown here http://www.ssheaders.com/4Cylinder.htm, there are 3 parts. The "flex" & cat, the raw headers, and the coated headers. Prices are as shown. Then when you go here https://ssl5.mysecureserver.com/boss...?idCategory=74 you can essentially get one of two packages. Either the flex & cat with coated headers, or the flex & cat with the raw headers (as you will see, the prices in the second link, are just the prices of the parts in the first link simply added together. No deals or discounts for the package ).

So with that in mind, the questions are thus. I am preferring the uncoated headers, mainly for the large price difference. 1) So is that okay, is the coating, which is essentially $150 really worth the bother? Keep in mind this is for FWD and no boost, just all N/A. 2) Second is, should I get that cat they list there? Is it necessary, or just mildy beneficial, or very beneficial? 3) Now aside from that, I do plan on getting 3400 heads (and intake manifolds) eventually, since they'll just bolt right up to a 3100 from what I've read here; so should I just wait on the headers until I get the 3400 heads, or just get and put the headers on now?

Now setting all that aside, will these even work on a 3100, like will there be any routing problems? Because if I remember right, they used a 99 Grand Am with 3400. My car is a 97, theirs was a 99, which is to say it doesn't matter as far as that goes; both are late 90s N-bodies so there is no respectable difference in that. My main concern is they used a 3400. Does the 3400 take up more space in the engine compartment, or does it sit differently locationally? In other words, is there going to be routing problems near the rear of the engine and firewall when trying to put the headers on a 3100 when they were designed on a 3400?

K, I think that's all for now, please offer up anything that I might not have asked that might be important.

And hasn't someone gotten the headers yet for a 3100 application, or was that an L-body and so not really applicable here?

Car insurance is legal discrimination

Oh, and one more thing. I live in California, will I be okay during smog checks? i.e. passable.

Comment

TOG has the carb approval, S&S does not. You may have to get the TOGs since you are in cali (sucks).

You can get the headers without the flexpipe and the cat if you want...and coating it is a good idea since it will protect the headers and increase gas velocity. It will also keep the engine bay cooler. I think making a custom heat shield for where the old crossover area would be slick as well.

I think there is an issue with fitting them on yours but I dont remember what it is.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Yeah, then there's The Other Guys headers, which are are $700.

Comment

Working...
        X