3500 in malibu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3500 in malibu

yes im sure this is like the 20th identical thread that someone else has started already..but its much easier to just ask my questions in a new one..

what are the major benefits going from 3100 to 3500? like hp difference? supercharging options?

how difficult is it? are the mounts the same? do i need to upgrade fuel pump? would i need to use the 3500 PCM? does it bolt up to stock 4t40e tranny? etc...

i was going to build the crap out of a 3400 and put it in..but idk if a 3500 would be worth the time, effort, money. if i fully built a 3400 (pistons, heads, springs, valves, intakes, throttle bodies, headers..everything) and fully build a 3500 the same way. what would the average wheel horsepower difference be?

trying to justify such a swap..bare with me..thanks
    2002 Chevy Malibu 3400sfi - Project Sleeper - Good night

Boost - Coming soon to a malibu near you.

The major diferance is that the 3400 is @13ci bigger than the 3100 and the 3500 is an additional 10ci over the 3400. The 3500 has a beefier crank. I dont know for sure but I have heard that the brace that goes between the engine block and the tail of the transmission will need modified. You might need to change the timming cover and you'll need a crank trigger. The ect sensor is allso a small problem that you'll have to figure out. Your AC compresser won't line up to the 3500 oil pan's mounting boss. But it will mount to your transmission, you should use you PCM just have it tuned. Your feul pump should be fine. But if you are trying to decide between a 3400 and a 3500 the only major price differance would be the crank trigger.

Comment

well im not getting a full 3400 if i go that route. i'd only be getting a used block and building the block up with pistons, rods, bearing, crank etc then i already have plenty of spare 3100/3400 parts that i'd put on top of that in addition to whats in my car now. if i went the 3500 route i would have to buy block, heads, manifold, throttle body adapter, crank trigger, and many other things. so sure its alittle bigger but in your personal opinion is it worth it? would i be content with a built 3400 or would it be drastically better with a built 3500?

Comment

Stock for stock, 3500 heads out flow 3400 by a decent bit (which is why 3500 on a 3400 is a popular upgrade for 3400 guys). From what I've read, the intake on a 3500 is an improvement over the 3400 intake as well, unless you go with boost (then the 3400 reigns, IIRC).
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

i cant really justify going all 3500..ill probably just go 3400/3500 hybrid build. i read somewhere the pros and cons to the 3500 heads up and i think it was better for upper end power but lower end would suffer IIRC

Comment

But you don't race off of idle. If the 3500 were a bad place to start, I doubt Dave's Camaro would be getting a 3500, along with countless others who have made the 3500 move.
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

that's understandable. but for me i think it will be easier and cheaper and just as beneficial to get the LA1 block, build it up and slap that in there so i wont have to worry about mounts and where im going to put my AC stuff. then either just power ported 3400 heads on it or go the hybrid build route and put 3500 top end on it. sure it doesn't sound difficult to go full 3500 but its also not plug and play. i just wanted to see if the benefits far surpassed that of a 3400..which it doesnt really seem to..so i cant justify the extra cash/time. get what im saying?

UNLESS..im not sure of this but did any car with a 3500 ever have a manual transmission. if so then i'd definitely go 3500 cuz then it would be easier for my 5spd swap.

Comment

bump..can anyone help me out..manual in a 3500?

Comment

Hooking a manual up to a 3500 is the same as hooking it up to a 3400 and a 3100. So what is your question?
                  -Brad-
                  89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                  sigpic
                  Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

i didnt know if GM ever had a manual transmission on the 3500..i was just wondering cuz then it have been easier probably. just get the 3500 engine and the tranny to go with it and put them both in.

Comment

Since 1993, and the introduction of the 3100, no 3x00 has ever come from the factory mated to a manual transmission. In fact, the only FWD 60V6s in that time frame to get one is the 2.8L VVT and 3900 (VVT also I think).
                      -Brad-
                      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                      sigpic
                      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

The 284 in the W's ended in 93 (91-93), but were only mated to LQ1s.
                        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Better go to a full 3500 trust me. It is a little more complicated to do a hybrid for a slight power loss. I think if you go full 3500 vs a 3450hybrid you actually get less torque but the HP seems to be the same. Me i did the hybrid because of the crank trigger and I am using my car in snow, and did not wanted to get trouble with snow on the crank trigger, as i don't know if it was tested in winter.
                          Mike 60degree addict.
                          Beretta 96 3500 - 14.981@ 93.32
                          sigpic
                          65MM thorttle body, Crank trigger 97 venture ECM and Dhp powrTuner

Comment

Originally posted by mickaz View Post
                            Me i did the hybrid because of the crank trigger and I am using my car in snow, and did not wanted to get trouble with snow on the crank trigger, as i don't know if it was tested in winter.
                            Marc from TCE lives in Ohio, so there is snow where the trigger is made. As for it being tested in the winter, I've no idea, but it does have standard GM weatherpack connectors that are pretty much water proof from what I've seen with Bob and the FranInjector cleaning machine and Ultrasonic bathing he gives injectors.
                            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                              Marc from TCE lives in Ohio, so there is snow where the trigger is made. As for it being tested in the winter, I've no idea, but it does have standard GM weatherpack connectors that are pretty much water proof from what I've seen with Bob and the FranInjector cleaning machine and Ultrasonic bathing he gives injectors.
                              thats not the thing that got me worried. what i didnt wanted was snow that got stuck between the crank trigger and the wheel, giving a wrong signal to the ecm and having rough start or other problems.
                              Mike 60degree addict.
                              Beretta 96 3500 - 14.981@ 93.32
                              sigpic
                              65MM thorttle body, Crank trigger 97 venture ECM and Dhp powrTuner

Comment

Working...
                              X