92 3.4 into 94 3.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 3.4 into 94 3.4

i have a 94 cutlass supreme with the 3.4 dohc,my motor is leaking oil bad from rear main and the trans has 237000 miles and needs replaced.i can get a 93 lumina z34 that has a low milage 3.4 dohc and rebuilt trans.i know my year has a crank sencor and the 93 doesnt.can that be changed to work for my year.also,i know they say the trans doesnt have the bosses on the side pan to mount the trans mount,but can the cover from my 94 trans switch over to the 93 trans?i can get this car for 500 and would be worth it as long as it will work.i know somebody has had to done this before.

i thought i answered this be4....guess not. maybe another like it.

as long as u have 2 complete engines it should be easy(kinda).

first lets cover the engine. you need to swap the following for the engine:

you'll need to swap the front main cover as the early ones do not have the bolt holes for the 24x crank sensor.

you'll need to swap the cam carriers as the early ones do not have a cam sensor in them.

you'll need to swap the crank dampers b/c the later ones have the reluctor rings you need.

that about covers the engine i believe.

next the tranny, what you do is keep the 93 trans mount and simply switch the frame mount to make it fit. you can simply unbolt and switch the frame mounts from both vehicles. i can see the light bulb now...lol

then the gear selector thingy's are different. just switch them.

lastly, the big plug. while they are the same physically, you're going to have to look at a wiring diagram or 2 to see if they are the same internally.......i am about 80% certain they are but it isn't my car either .

hope this helps.
    The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

cool.i was looking up the interchange at work and seeing what was the same.now is that inner lower cover hard to change?what about the cam housings?i never thought about changing the trans mount.i should have known the frames are the same.duh.lol.i do know that the intakes,exhaust,and a few other things are the same between the 91-95 motors.so i guess i better buy this car for the price.thanks for your help.

Comment

well since the engine will be out of the car, it should be easy but you'll need to drop the oilpa 1st be4 removing the cover. also for the cover as well as the cams you'll have to re-time the engine.

if you are mechanically inclined it is no sweat but alot of peeps seem to have trouble with it.

perhaps as a gratuity, can you hook me up with one of those passenger side diff mounts if i pay shipping?
        The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

i have done the timing before and have the tool to do it.i have it down pretty good now.lol.now i am going to have 3 3.4's sitting around.lol.what year is your car and are you talking about the mount from the trans to motor and frame just under the right axle?

Comment

Working...
          X