Tranny options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny options

I am about to finish my turbo z34 project. I need to know what trannys will fit later on when I blow this one up. how about a 4t65e? Yea or NEA

WWW.OverKillEngineeringMotorsports.com

getrag 284, mt2, beefed getrag 282 maybe. if you haveor have a skilled welder, you can modify a 4t80e to fit. only 1 bellhousing bolt hole is different iirc. whether or not it will fit into your car...i do not know.
    The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

The 4T65-E it will fit, but running it is a different story.

The 4T80-E is a different story. It will not fit unless you basically cut the entire front end off of your car and custom mount everything. It is a LOT bigger. And I think that the top 2 bolts will not bolt up (the bellhousing on the 4T80-E is taller for the starter in in the northstars being mounted under the upper intake manifold).

Not sure about the back bolts, but I think it would be more trouble than it is worth to get the 4T80-E in your car.

I would stick with the 4T60-E. It is already in there, it can be built up, and you will not have issues with figureing out a computer setup to run it all.
      Last edited by 3100 MPFI; 06-11-2007, 11:59 PM.
      Taylor
      1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
      1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
      1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
      1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
      "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

See I thought that the 65-e was HD. But what can you do to the 60-e?

Comment

INTERNALLY (under the valve body on the main internals), the 4T60-E and the 4T65- E are almost identical. The only real difference I can think of had to do with the thrust washers. The 60 had like PLASTIC ones, but the 65 had METAL ones.

A friend of mine rebuilt a 4T60-E using the 65 rebuild kit, and that tranny is STRONG.
          Taylor
          1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
          1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
          1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
          1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
          "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

Humm, good to know. I will definitly keep that in mind. Thanks

Comment

The 4T65E-HD can be swapped in and run by a 97 PCM with custom tuning (gear ratio changes and such).

Tim
              1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
              325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

So IF a person wants to run a 4T65E-HD WHAT IS NEEDED in a old w-body?

- Right axle
                - 97+ ECM and harness to the tranny ?

So in other word a person would have to run your 3.4 DOHC as a "Manual" per-say and Use the 97+ ECM to run the 4T65E-HD as it own stand alone OBD II unit? Correct? Or can the 4T65E-HD be run with the Existing OBD I ECM WITH some mods?

I want to know the facts cause I want to put the 4T65E-HD in my 3.4 DOHC STE.

Thanks!

Regards,
                David
                1991 Grand Prix STE
                3.4 DOHC
                1 of 792 Produced
                Extensive Mods Done

1991 Lumina Z34
                3.4 DOHC
                Getrag 284 5spd
                1 of 30
                Canadian Z34 Models Made with the Getrag 5spd Wahoooo!

1980 GMC Sierra Classic C25 With 18,000 ORIGINAL MILES!!!!

sigpic

Comment

The 65E can't be run with an old computer. But, they can be run with a couple of the standalone tranny controllers out there, which might be easier than trying to get a stock OBD2 PCM to control it.
                  -Brad-
                  89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                  sigpic
                  Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Working...
                  X