IAC questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IAC questions

What is the purpose of the IAC and what controls it? How does it work? I went to check my IAC today and cleaned it. Is the stem to move in and out freely or supposed to be hard to pull in and out? I noticed there was quite a lot of carbon around the stem, spring and pointer thing. Looks like the thing had been sticking for quite a while. How do I check to see if the thing is working right?
    sigpic1993 Pontiac Grand Prix SE, 3.4L DOHC 24 Valve V6 MFPI, 5 speed, completely stock, bucket on a budget!

It's supposed to be hard to move. Do you know anything about electronics? If so then you know what a stepper motor is. If not:

It is controlled by your ECM, and basically acts like a controlled air leak. The ECM uses it to control the idle of your engine by opening (speed up) or closing (slow down) the leak.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by Ghettoracer View Post
      What is the purpose of the IAC and what controls it? How does it work? I went to check my IAC today and cleaned it. Is the stem to move in and out freely or supposed to be hard to pull in and out? I noticed there was quite a lot of carbon around the stem, spring and pointer thing. Looks like the thing had been sticking for quite a while. How do I check to see if the thing is working right?

Do yourself a favor man and buy a repair manual. The haynes manuals are decent and when you get learned up with it get the dealer manuals.
      1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP / 3.4 DOHC

Comment

Working...
      X