Need advise on DOHC or top swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advise on DOHC or top swap

I have a chance to pick up a complete 95 dohc with a 120k for my 95 gp se. I also have available a complete top swap, including heads, from a 99 3400. I am just looking for some input as far as what the best move might be. Obviously I want the most performance but reliablity is a big plus too.
    Last edited by eeltam; 12-25-2010, 01:14 AM.

Well, 3400 top end should be a direct replacement for the most part for what I'm assuming is a 3100 in your car. A DOHC is going to take some wiring and computer changes. As far as top swap vs a complete DOHC, the DOHC will win out of the box, but a 3400 has a much larger aftermarket than the DOHC, so it probably depends more on what you want to do with the car later.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
      Well, 3400 top end should be a direct replacement for the most part for what I'm assuming is a 3100 in your car. A DOHC is going to take some wiring and computer changes. As far as top swap vs a complete DOHC, the DOHC will win out of the box, but a 3400 has a much larger aftermarket than the DOHC, so it probably depends more on what you want to do with the car later.
      Yes it is a 3100. I'm really wondering how dependable the DOHC is. I know they have issues with the alt being in a bad spot as well as the rear plugs but how are they on timing belts and seals etc?

Comment

If you are handy with a ratchet and have the tool kit or make your own tools, the timing belt isn't a bad job to do, especially on the 93+ engines. As far as seals, they are not any worse than any other 60v6. As for reliability, they aren't near as bad as most people make them out to be. They are just as dependable as any other 60v6. If it weren't for snow and tires on my 92, I would have no problem hopping in it and driving to either Florida or California if I had to, after an oil change of course, and I haven't driven that car in a few months. Most of the reason they get such a bad rap is people want simple. Pushrods are simple, but the DOHC has a belt that has to be changed and 4 cams to time when you change the belt. Also most of the time you really mostly only hear everyone's horror stories and seldom hear the ones that are very happy with them (like me ). Example: Even Firefox's spell check doesn't like the DOHC, one of the suggested words was douche...
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
        X