Have to change alternator on 95 MonteCarlo Z34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have to change alternator on 95 MonteCarlo Z34

Can someone give me directions how to change this other than dropping the engine down...?
    1995 Monte Carlo Z-34 with 141,000 miles

Jack up the right side. Pull the wheel, pull the axle. Make sure the battery is disconnected BEFORE you disconnect the alternator. Remove belt, remove alternator. Damn, that sure sounds simple when I write it, but I've never done it without some choice language during the physical part of the exercise . . . .LOL.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

Drink 3-4 beers before you start, that'll soften the initial shock.
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

OK...I like the 3-4 beers and choice language part.....BUT I can get it off like that though.....right?
        1995 Monte Carlo Z-34 with 141,000 miles

Comment

"BUT I can get it off like that though.....right? " Hahahahaha, I don't know whether you can get it off like that or not, but I do know that you can remove the alternator that way. LOL

Comment

The most frustrating part of the actual alternator removal/install is the bolt around the backside of the housing that is totally blind. You have to feel to get the bolt started in the threaded boss in the block. An impact gun on the axle nut and a long large bar to force down the control arm (disconnect ball joint) so as to swing the strut out of the way for clearance are a blessing.
            91 LQ1 GP GT

Comment

I haven't looked, but I may need to fix the images on that one as well...
              -Brad-
              89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
              sigpic
              Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

This pic just about sums it up... Take your time, its a Pain in the ass.... you may feel suisidal after attempting this job...
                Shane "RedZMonte"
                2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
                1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
                -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
                2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
                1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
                1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
                1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
                1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

No no no no noooooooo. . . . that's the problem, man. What I meant by "choice language" is that you have to use the mechanics mantra to coax the machine into submission. It goes like this . . . I love my machines, my machines love me and I serve the machine masters, and if this piece of shit doesn't cooperate soon I'm gonna serve the machine masters up a healthy dose of BFH alignment tool #1!

Comment

I can pull the engine faster....

96 Z34 3.4 SC DOHC Getrag, 284 5sd manual transmission, stage 3spec clutch, 97 engine, 97 pcm, S3 intercooler 1 of 1 Roots SC LQ1 in the world 8.5 psi.

Comment

Originally posted by RedZMonte View Post
                      This pic just about sums it up... Take your time, its a Pain in the ass.... you may feel suisidal after attempting this job...
                      Lol! I remember that day like it was yesterday. That's an Autozone alternator for you. Just look how clean it is still. That's why I went with a Delco that I still have yet to have go out, and that pic was from around '99 or '00...
                      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                      Originally posted by Jay Leno
                      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Lol yeah, use a Delphi or ACDelco replacement... (Pillatium sp? i hear are ok too) But checker brand SUCK!

S
                        Shane "RedZMonte"
                        2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
                        1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
                        -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
                        2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
                        1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
                        1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
                        1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
                        1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

What I wonder is why iv been doing so well. I don't run the cooling duct on the alt or right splash guard or ps rack heat shield or ps cooling pipe cradle lope. I haven't had any problems. But then again I do have giant hole in my hood for ventilation.
                          Last edited by Dave96z34; 06-09-2010, 05:36 PM.

96 Z34 3.4 SC DOHC Getrag, 284 5sd manual transmission, stage 3spec clutch, 97 engine, 97 pcm, S3 intercooler 1 of 1 Roots SC LQ1 in the world 8.5 psi.

Comment

mines on a 4ft sq platform, takes 3 min......

Comment

I don't know if the 95 is different than the 97 but that year calls for loosening the pinch bolt connecting the steering column to the rack, then lowering the cradle no more than 4 inches to give clearance to access the back of the alternator to connect the battery cable, wiring harness air vent pipe. I've done it without lowering the rack by attaching the battery cable before bolting the alternator to the bracket. But you can't attach the harness plug and vent pipe without it being in the bracket since they won't reach. So you have to bolt it up then apply a lot of patience and a long screwdriver to maneuver the harness plug and vent pipe into position.

Comment

Working...
                              X