'92 GTP was low on power, now won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '92 GTP was low on power, now won't start

My '92 GTP refused to start after I pulled into a parking lot last night. I'd driven it there with no problems other than it being low on power and getting the "chuggles" if I tried to get more out of it, but only between 2000-4000rpm. Once past that point, though it didn't feel like it was all there, it did pull smoothly. I first noticed it on Sunday, and had decided it was probably just a clogged fuel filter (which I haven't changed for about 30k miles). Planned to do it today, but I tested the fuel pressure and it was at 41psi and holding, so I didn't think it was urgent.

The only other symptom is it sounds really odd when I'm cranking it, a little slower than usual and without the normal tun-tun-tun sound, which deteriorates into this continuous swishing sound the longer I crank it. I can't accurately describe it so I've uploaded a youtube vid here.

This also started several days ago before it completely refused to start, so I don't think anything catastrophic has failed.

Here's what else I've checked:
    • Suspected TPS, so I pulled codes. 6 #12's and nothing else, so the ECM seems to think everything's hunky-dory.
    • Inspected vacuum lines. Did this while the engine was running and no disconnections or hissing noises noted.
    • Pulled timing belt inspection cover, belt is tight and like new (replaced about 20k miles ago), appears clean inside, no "hairs"
    • Inspected plug wires and ensured they are all seated properly
    • Oil is clean, 10W-30 synthetic, no coolant contamination
    • Exhaust is clean, no smoke or funny odor; cat replaced about 10k miles ago
    • Replaced ignition coils & ICM

I don't think that the timing chain broke, I think I replaced it at the last rebuild about 20k miles ago and it wouldn't break just from shutting the car off.

I have a fuel pump activation switch on the dash, and I know the fuel pump is running and pressurizing to 41psi at the injector rail.

Anybody got any other ideas?

92 ASC GTP - 3.4 5sp, HUD, DIC, AQ9's
    88 Fiero GTs - L32 3.4 5sp & ZZ430 5.7 SBC V8 5sp (the twins) L32 -> LQ1 swap is underway
    6sp LS1 Corvette Roadster (parts getter)
    '99 Expedition (tow truck)
    '09 G8 (new toy)

Originally posted by crazyd View Post
    Inspected plug wires and ensured they are all seated properly
    Plugs fouled? Did you pull them and check? While they're out, perform a compression test.
    Originally posted by crazyd View Post
    Replaced ignition coils & ICM
    Do you actually have spark?

What is battery voltage during cranking? What is battery voltage with NO load?

You have fuel pressure, do the injectors fire?
    ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

It almost sounds like not all cylinders are building compression.

Is the timing belt turning while cranking? When the 91 ate the belt it was still nice and tight and looked normal until the belt got removed. Taking it off revealed the teeth had been sheered off of it at the intermediate shaft so the belt couldn't turn while cranking.
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Yeah, the timing belt isn't moving. Little soon for a timing belt to go after only 20k, but no big deal to replace it again. Got a new CPS, ICM and coils in the process.

88 Fiero GTs - L32 3.4 5sp & ZZ430 5.7 SBC V8 5sp (the twins) L32 -> LQ1 swap is underway
        '09 G8 (new toy)

Comment

Found the problem..

Timing belt's missing a few teeth....

IMG_20111112_133238.jpg

'09 G8 (new toy)

Comment

That'll do it!
            Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Sort of like the 91, except it shredded through the belt backing lengthwise some as well. At least you found it and it's a relatively simple fix
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
              Originally posted by Jay Leno
              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Yeah, I finished it up and got it running again last night. There didn't seem to be anything wrong with the actuator, but I replaced it anyway. It's no wonder this motor got such a bad reputation, if I'd had to pay for another timing belt repair (this is my second failure in 2 years) i'd really be pissed...

'09 G8 (new toy)

Comment

Working...
                X