Fuel Injectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Injectors

I got a question? I've been driving around all day with no issues. then about an hour ago, I went out to start my baby and it was hard to start. Then as I drove, it got sluggish. Then it began to sputter and miss and then died out. I made it home by keeping the idle hi. Now here's my question, if my injectors were from a 3.1l (strong possibility), could that cause them to crack and then dump fuel?

Also after changing my plenum gasket, my low coolant light stays on but it's full and even holds pressure when tested. There's no sign of water in the oil or white smoke in the exhaust. Could that have been part of the problem?

If your injectors are from a 3.1l then they are smaller than what your engine should have, and they don't have the correct spray pattern (not to mention the stock tune will still think you have the correct DOHC injectors, throwing off the ECM). Having the incorrect injectors will not cause them to crack and dump fuel unless they were the wrong physical size and forced to place with something like a hammer.

As for the coolant light, the sensor is on the passenger side of the radiator and are known to get gummed up and trip the light while the coolant level is fine.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

OK that means it's time for some exploratory surgery. I was hoping that there was some obvious direction that I hadn't thought of. But as for the injectors, This is the second set were the housing has begun to split along the seam. I can't remember if they were from the jy or if they came outta a 3.4 or 3.1. I just saw a set on ebay I 'm gonna grab. They're listed as FJ102. If that's right, are those the right ones?

Comment

If it's this listing:

Then yes, those are meant for the DOHC, and actually I would think that $67 (free shipping even) is a pretty good deal on 6 reman'd injectors.

One thing that works against you on injectors that have sat for a long time is the fuel can gum them up and cause them to not open or cause them to partially clog making them so they don't inject the right amount of fuel for a given injector pulse. I believe that injectors that are rebuilt or cleaned professionally usually have a lubricant injected into them to prevent them from sticking where they don't open when commanded on, something the junkyard doesn't do.
        Last edited by pocket-rocket; 10-12-2013, 09:46 AM.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Just tried it again. I might have a blown head.The car hasn't overheated so I don't know why it would be Ran ok til I gave it some gas, then it began to sputter again and there was a bit of white smoke. Not a lot but a bit. Could a blown head cause the sputtering? Could it cause the dummy light to come on. Maybe if a gasket didn't seal properly... I don't know why but this goes back to the o-ring issue a few weeks ago. That's when my headaches began. I had changed Plenum, the 2 intake gaskets, the egr and the o-ring( the fel-pro kit)

Comment

Originally posted by project 92z View Post
            I might have a blown head.
            Define "blown head". Burnt valves? Bent valves? Cracked?

The car hasn't overheated so I don't know why it would be Ran ok til I gave it some gas, then it began to sputter again and there was a bit of white smoke. Not a lot but a bit. Could a blown head cause the sputtering?
            Anything is possible.

Could it cause the dummy light to come on. Maybe if a gasket didn't seal properly... I don't know why but this goes back to the o-ring issue a few weeks ago. That's when my headaches began. I had changed Plenum, the 2 intake gaskets, the egr and the o-ring( the fel-pro kit)
            First Guess: You've not found the real cause of the problem yet; and on any vehicle as old as these, you can expect that sometimes there are several things wrong that may be interrelated.

"I" would be all over that computer with a scan tool. I'd be looking at fueling, O2 reading including cross-counts, knock sensor readings; and while you're in there, check the fuel pressure.
            ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

I guess I should have been more specific. I meant blown head gasket.... And being a 92 with OB1, I'm not sure how much good a scan tool would be...

Comment

I guess I should have been more specific. I meant blown head gasket....
                A compression test and leakdown test will tell that tale.

And being a 92 with OB1, I'm not sure how much good a scan tool would be...
                OBD I provides a considerable amount of data through the ALDL. A REAL scan tool will be invaluable. A cheap-junk piece of dreck consumer-grade scan tool will be worthless.
                ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

Having some limited resources, a REAL scan tool isn't available to me but compression tester- got it. I gotta work today but I'll be on it when I get home tonight. Hell, can't sleep anyway when my baby's sick. LOL
                  a bit off topic but have you seen the insurance commercial with the guy and the giant baby, that's supposed to be his car. www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryNtVK55OUY

Comment

Do you have a laptop with a decent battery?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk now Free
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Did a quick overview of the page- where do I get a cable? Does WOT Tech sell them?

Comment

Did a quick overview of the page- where do I get a cable? Does WOT Tech sell them?
                        Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                        ^^^

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I Just added that cable onto my wish list. I gotta get my baby up and going though(my project is also my daily driver). I'm gonna try to just replace the injectors. I'm also gonna replace the plenum gasket set and the valve cover gasket set AGAIN. When starting the compression test, I noticed that my spark plugs were soaked in oil.

Any suggestions on the valve cover gasket, in particular, the grommets around the spark plug hole. I just did both of these jobs originally back in JUly. This many issues ... Should I be using a gasket sealer in addition to the fel-pro set?

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I Just added that cable onto my wish list. I gotta get my baby up and going though(my project is also my daily driver). I'm gonna try to just replace the injectors. I'm also gonna replace the plenum gasket set and the valve cover gasket set AGAIN. When starting the compression test, I noticed that my spark plugs were soaked in oil.

Any suggestions on the valve cover gasket, in particular, the grommets around the spark plug hole. I just did both of these jobs originally back in JUly. This many issues ... Should I be using a gasket sealer in addition to the fel-pro set?
                            Perform diagnosis BEFORE throwing parts under the hood.

Oil on the spark plugs? Could just as easily be the cam carrier gasket as the valve cover gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by Schurkey View Post

Oil on the spark plugs? Could just as easily be the cam carrier gasket as the valve cover gasket.

Wait a minute, On the DOHC (3.4) aren't the cam carrier gasket and the valve cover gasket the same thing? CHILTON'S thinks so...Or do you mean the underneath the cam carrier?
                              And btw I got those injectors and they are neither remaned or for a 3.4. They have the same nozzle as what I had with 4 spray holes
                              Last edited by project 92z; 10-18-2013, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X