First Gen Struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Gen Struts

I got a 91 Z34. I've had some issues as would be expected with a 26 yo car. 1 big issue had been steering and alignment. I replaced the front strut cartridges and am now sitting here at Firestone. They're telling me that the front struts need to be replaced or drilled to allow for adjusting. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the outer strut housings non-serviceable?

Older cars were built with means to adjust some of the front suspension alignment angles. The W-bodies have factory-supplied adjustment only for toe-in or toe-out.

The body has to be modified (grinding of sheetmetal) to allow the top of the strut to be moved enough to affect camber and/or caster.

Do not allow them to dick with the camber/caster unless they've verified that the lower control arm bushings are in good condition, along with the lower ball joints and also verify ride-height front and rear. Suspect worn parts (including springs) rather than mis-adjustment. Adjust ONLY after all worn parts are replaced.

The outer strut housing can have the spring seat/bearing replaced, the coil spring replaced, etc. It's serviceable, but it's also a PITA.
    ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

Working...
    X