Idling problem - and code 39

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idling problem - and code 39

I've transplanted a '95 3.4 DOHC into my 5-speed '88 Fiero GT. Used a '91 ECM from an automatic tranny car (9396) and had a chip burned by Darth Fiero. It just will not idle properly. I've checked for vacuum leaks and all sensors have been replaced with known-good units.

It idles between 1250 and 1500 and seems to be running rich. It doesn't surge or search. If I coast down a hill in neutral or with the clutch in, it will idle steadily at 1250 to 1500. If I roll to a stop with the clutch in it will idle steadily at 1250 to 1500, until I reach a dead stop. Then it will usually drop to 850. But as soon as I start moving the idle is back to 1250 to 1500.

After a long drive, with several stop lights, the check engine light will come on when I am stopped and put in the clutch. The code is 39. No other codes. I checked the codes for VIN-X, 91-93 and the description is:

"Transaxle clutch switch has failed 4 consecutive times. Vehilcle was at normal operating temperature and the speed went from 0 to 40 MPH or more and back to 0 again."

Anyone have any ideas? Is it possible that the chip has not been reprogrammed for the manual transmission? What exactly is this transaxle clutch switch?

Thanks!
Working...
X