exhaust manifold leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust manifold leak

I am the proud owner of a 92 z34.I would say that I am fairly mechanically inclined. Most difficult repair I performed on my car was the upper and lower intake man. gaskets. My current delama w/ my ride is that I am hearing an exhaust leak(tick) from the engine bay.I've been under there changing the sparkplug wires and dread the thought of even looking for the leak. Dose anyone have any insight on:
    1. How accessable are the manifolds?
    2. Do they have a tendancy to leak from the head flange or the exhaust pipe junk-tion?
    Any help would be greatly appreceated

Try doing 'em on a Pontiac Fiero... *shudder*

They shouldn't be too bad. At worst you'll have to get at them from underneath.

The bolts are fairly solid, unline the craptastic studs on the other 60-degree heads. With a 3" extension you can fit over the manifolds no problem. It may be slow going on a couple of thems due to space limitations, but it's a fairly easy operation to remove the manifold.

Installing it is a little harder since you have to goof around with the crossover. My recommendation would be to loosen the crossover on both sides of the motor so you have some freedom of movement.

Beware the "can-o-worms" syndrome, though. Be prepared to replace any gasket donuts you disturb, since they may be in rough shape as it is, and fall apart when you take 'em off.

Comment

Working...
    X