turbo LQ1 videos and a turbo S2000 dyno video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo LQ1 videos and a turbo S2000 dyno video

Yes, I am whoring these around different sites. There are a variety of people on each and I get a variety of questions about my cars.

The Monte videos are old - from September 28, 2004. They show my old setup with the FMU before I relocated the MAF, redid the intercooler piping, removed the FMU, tuned with and wideband and the FTC1, added a 3" mandrel bent exhaust, and installed 42.5 lb per hr injectors. This was even before the 263 whp dyno. The new setup is at 325 whp and is significantly faster. The lifter tick is also gone and has been gone for a while.

You can see very clearly where the turbo spools and how much lag it has in these videos. Since then, I have been able to reduce lag and spool rpm significantly with the 3" exhaust and UD pulley, but there still is lag. Note that the tires only begin to spin at the top of first gear around 25+ mph...

Turbo Monte startup and idling- you can see the old red intercooler piping in this one.

The first video of accelerating onto an onramp. Remember, the car is significantly more powerful now- 60 whp more powerful!

Accelerating 2

A bit of wheelspin around a corner (cheating I know)

More idling and revving. You can hear the exhaust fairly well here. The car dies due to the BOV being after the MAF. The problem was corrected later by moving the MAF to a correct position between the BOV and TB.

And, one final video. This is the dyno video of my S2000 making 443 whp and 353 lb-ft of torque.

Tim
    1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
    325 whp 350 lb-ft

Damn that's a sweet sound!

What flavour of mufflers are those?

Glad to see that thing still up and running!

Though... is that the valves ticking in the first video?
    1985 S-10 Sport 20.66 @ 66.6MPH G-Tech 1/4 mile
    Soon to be LQ1 Powered....

Comment

which car do you enjoy driving more?

can your honda beat a new corvette?

Your monte sounds sweet!!!
      95 MC Z34 Black
      Running strong with new engine, transmission, brakes and suspension.

Comment

Thanks. I'm currently running a Borla center section and two large Magnaflows at the rear. When the video was taken, I had an older system that was similar. IIRC, I had a Dynomax straight through center muffler and two Bullett Performance straight through rear mufflers.

The valves were ticking. I now use high mileage oil with an additive and that seems to keep the valves from ticking.

The Honda will easily beat a new Corvette. Before I built the motor, upped the boost, and tuned it, it ran even with a track prepped C5 Vette at the local 1/8 mile track. Now, I have 40 more horsepower at the wheels than a C6 has at the crank and my car weighs about 500 lbs less.

Right now, I enjoy driving the Monte more. The S2000 has really bad clutch rattle that takes out some of the fun. I'm in the process of sound deadening it though and that should help some..

Tim
        1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
        325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Got any vids or sound clips of the new exhaust setup?

It sounds almost the same as my Z did straight piped... only quieter, and more refined

For a turbo LQ1, would true dual exhaust be better, or just a larger single exhaust?

Comment

I don't, but I can try to get some this coming weekend. It's a very nice, deep, throaty sound. If you don't mind the look, a 4" single is probably the best way to go for ultimate power. 3" single wouldn't be bad. I like duals just because you shouldn't lose much, if any, performance and I like the look much better. I think the dual rear mufflers also keep things a bit quieter versus a single rear muffler. On mine, the 3" is already at the limit of streetability just due to the lowered ride height.

Tim
            325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Luckilly, since this isn't going to be in a W-body, ride height won't be as much of an issue, lol

Yes, please grab some video/audio clips, if it's not too much trouble!
              or even a video, next time you hit up a dyno, lol.

How much does a dyno run generally cost, anyway?

oh, and since you have a '97 TDC kickin' around... would it be possible to get the output spline count? I need to know if it'll run a T5, lol

Comment

If it's not going to be in a w-body and if it will have a larger turbo, then a 4" single is 100% the way to go if you have room. They cost more and take up a lot more space, but the better the exhaust is after the turbo, the better the turbo will perform.

It's going to be a while until I hit up a dyno. My current motor has a LOT of blowby and the replacement is not going to be an easy swap. I'm still waiting on parts for it.
                Dyno runs typically start at $50 and can work their way up to $150/hr if somebody else is tuning and $75/hr if you're tuning. IMO, half a day on a dyno is 100% worth it when developing a safe a/f ratio, safe ignition timing, and more power than you can possibly tune for on the street. I tuned a friends S2000 last week and saw some HUGE increases in torque and horsepower at all RPM's and even at part throttle. However, with a stock GM OBD2 PCM and automatic transmission, it may not be as worthwhile. Those will limit the effectiveness of part throttle tuning on a dyno (and also to a lesser extent WOT tuning). With a manual transmission and realtime tunable PCM/ECU, dyno time is worth every penny.

I'll see if I can get a spline count this coming weekend.

Tim
                325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

That's cool... Hope everything magically drops together for ya!

As for the spline count, I think it's 23T... I just saw that on clutchnet...

Looks like I'll be running my stock S-10 clutch for now! lol

Can we say slippage?

As for the turbo... It'll probably be something clost to the same size as yours... as I love the powerband of it... and don't want it to take _too_ long to spool up... though, I may go to a sequential TT setup if that's the case...

The first step, will be getting the POS running with the motor first, lol

Comment

Working...
                  X