Fender-well intake, is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender-well intake, is it worth it?

Alright, right now i have this current intake setup...

It's ok, the car runs better with it, but it gets extremely hot under the hood on my car. I don't know why exactly. There isnt any exhaust leaks and my 93 Z34 Auto didn't get near this hot. Anyway, i was wondering how much of a differance it would make to put the filter in the fender, away from most of the heat. Relocating the battery isn't an option, but the window washer fluid resivour is already gone. I was thinking i could turn the battery sideways and run a flexible hose or something like that to the fender. I would heat wrap any exposed metal from the intake so it wouldn't get as hot under the hood. Any ideas, directions, or personal stories(having to do with this) that anyone could add? Thanks alot.

Kyle
    1992 Lumina Z34
    5 Speed
    Autozone civic intake
    Ultra White lights
    FFP Dogbone mount
    125k miles
    2.5 inch Magnaflow catback from Magnaflow cat
    60degreeV6.com Custom Chip

see my pictures on my links below. It can be done very easily for less than $10

Comment

Cardomain seems to be down. I didn't find anything useful on the other link.

Kyle
      1992 Lumina Z34
      5 Speed
      Autozone civic intake
      Ultra White lights
      FFP Dogbone mount
      125k miles

Comment

Comment

first off lose the bottom half of the air intake box.. you are getting more blockage than cooler air. 2nd, I am still waiting to see a single dyno test that shows even a 5hp gain to building a CAI in the fender well. Anyone have the time to do a before and after??

If you are getting a lot of heat, make sure your fans are coming on.. the first comes on around 180F or with the A/C on around 110. The second should come on around 210 with the A/c on and like 260 with it off.
          2014 Chevy Cruise LT
          2000 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja Motorcycle

Comment

[QUOTE=Scott205]first off lose the bottom half of the air intake box.. you are getting more blockage than cooler air. 2nd, I am still waiting to see a single dyno test that shows even a 5hp gain to building a CAI in the fender well. Anyone have the time to do a before and after??

In using HP tuners the intake air temps are greatly affected by a CAI. My intake temps went from the 40's down to almost ambient!! That's huge. CAI is awesome but watch the water, can be real bad news.....

The lower temps allow for more timing=more snap!!

Comment

This is what i have done for the time being. I know the battery is close to the manifold, i plan on moving it to the trunk soon. I plan on heat wrapping the tube and building a box around the filter. I dont want to go through the hassle of doing a true fender-well intake, and have to worry about water. I am going to go to the track Friday and see if the car runs any differant than with the other setup. I'll have some vidoes and timeslips for yall.

The reason the bottom of the intake box was on was because it blocks the heat from the exhaust manifold, it is alot hotter without that box there.

Thanks for the help every1. Sorry for the big pics.

Kyle

1992 Lumina Z34
              5 Speed
              Autozone civic intake
              Ultra White lights
              FFP Dogbone mount
              125k miles

Comment

That looks pretty good to me!

Comment

looks nice..... but still getting hot air from the engine bay. use some sheet metal and box in the filter to the fender and you'll be good!

Comment

I'm going too.BTW i ran a 15.9 with this setup.

Kyle
                    1992 Lumina Z34
                    5 Speed
                    Autozone civic intake
                    Ultra White lights
                    FFP Dogbone mount
                    125k miles

Comment

well im pretty sure you'll gain a noticable amount in your 1/4 by using a FWI vs a HAI

Comment

Working...
                      X