newbie, seafoam question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie, seafoam question

Hey whats up to all, got a 97 LTZ lumina, 119000 on it, slight mods here and there, was wanting to make sure the PCV fed all the cylinders, i was wantin to seafoam that line, and makin positive it will be safe to use it, any questions or comments are welcome, again hello and thanks

I've used Seafoam through the main vacuum line, off of the brake booster, but this will be easier if you have a friend to help.

1) Get the line off of the brake booster, you'll hear the air escaping. Start the car up, the idle will be funky.
    2) Pour a 1/3 of the can into the line. Tell your buddy to keep the RPMS up high enough so the motor doesn't stall out. Once a 1/3 is in, turn the car off. Sometimes the car will sputter to a stop. This is normal, my car did it the first time I did mine.
    3) Wait 10-15 minutes for the Seafoam to seep in, and absorb the carbon build up.
    4) After the wait, start the car back up. Again, it's not going to want to idle, at all. Keep the RPMS around 2-2.5K, and watch the smoke show. Keep the RPMS like that for another 5-10 minutes, then take a quick drive. A run on the highway helps best.

Good luck!
    -Chris-
    03 Black GAGT Sedan
    MODS:
    MP Racing CAI / Magnaflow High Flow Catalytic Converter / Flowmaster 80 series w/glasspack resonator
    Front STB / MSD Ignition: 8.5mm wires & blaster coils / SOME BIG GODDAMNED MUDFLAPS

And some other stuff to make it look pretty.

Comment

fogging for mosquitoes... its fun! Reminds me of when I follow a ricer who wants to play... LOL

Got Lope?
      3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
      Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
      Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
      12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

why the brake booster, parden me askin, but how does that hook into the intake system?

Comment

brake booster is a rather large vacuum line that does hook up to the intake. a smaller line would take too long and wouldn't get the full effect of the seafoam, but don't pour so fast that you hydrolock the motor!
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

ya ive been hearing that from people, where is this line located?

Comment

look at your brake booster and you'll see a rather large rubber hose, should have a check valve on the end or near it.
              1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
              Latest nAst1 files here!
              Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

so why is a brake booster hooked to the intake, i would think it would stick to the brake chamber and have nothin to do with the engine

Comment

the brake booster uses the vacuum from the throttled engine to make braking easier... just how it works.
                  Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

ah got ya, is this line the only one to the brake booster, or is it located at a certain spot on it? wanna make sure i got the right one

Comment

It's the only one that goes to the brake booster. It should be about 3/4 thick and you should be able to see the nylon re-enforcement in it. The check valve Robert talked about is the in the deal that plugs into the booster itself.
                      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                      Originally posted by Jay Leno
                      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

^ Yup. You'll hear a hiss when you take off the line. That right there will let you knwo that's the right one. lol
                        -Chris-
                        03 Black GAGT Sedan
                        MODS:
                        MP Racing CAI / Magnaflow High Flow Catalytic Converter / Flowmaster 80 series w/glasspack resonator
                        Front STB / MSD Ignition: 8.5mm wires & blaster coils / SOME BIG GODDAMNED MUDFLAPS

Comment

Originally posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post
                          ^ Yup. You'll hear a hiss when you take off the line. That right there will let you knwo that's the right one. lol
                          and in the future, pump the brakes a few times before to get rid of the vacuum holding it closed to pull it off easier.
                          Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
                            and in the future, pump the brakes a few times before to get rid of the vacuum holding it closed to pull it off easier.
                            Good god, yes. Was a lot better the second time I did it. lol
                            -Chris-
                            03 Black GAGT Sedan
                            MODS:

Comment

That, and the check valve is barbed, which won't help you take it out any, lol.
                              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                              Originally posted by Jay Leno
                              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
                              X