My STE turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My STE turbo

Just one pic for now...thought this one came out good.

1990 Grand Prix STE Turbo

Looks good! You should lower it.

Comment

Out of curiosity, what size tires do you have on that? I put some 225/60/16's on mine and they rub on the trailing arms in the back...I'm confused.

Shawn
      90 Grand Prix STE 3.1 Intercooled Turbo-3100 Hybrid
      K&N, Magnaflows, No Cat, Chip, FFP Pulley, H260 Cam, No EGR.
      99 Grand Prix GT
      K&N|No Cat/ubend/res|160 tstat|shift kit|UD ALT & WP Pulleys|XP Cam|Stage 2 I/C|Pacesetters|MPS|2.9"|Custom PCM
      12.665 @ 110.44 w/2.018 60', STREET TIRES, PUMP GAS!

Comment

Originally posted by dbtk2
        Out of curiosity, what size tires do you have on that? I put some 225/60/16's on mine and they rub on the trailing arms in the back...I'm confused.

Shawn
        What's the offset on the stock TSTE wheels Shawn? They must sit in more or something? My shitty fan blades on the 93 dont' rub w/ those sized tires, I believe the offset on them is around +38mm or either 35mm, I just looked at them a week ago and can't remember .
        Matt F.

TGP 1/4 mile times
        http://photobucket.com/albums/y33/mfewtrail/
        1990 TGP Coupe VIN Database

Comment

I'm not sure what the offset is, but it HAS to be the wheels. The tires on the TGP Coupe don't even come close to rubbing on the trailing arms and they are 245/50/16's (stock size). I have a friend with a '93 Lumina with 225/60/16's and the tires are like 2" away from the trailing arms, so it has to be the offset. Its still weird that they are that close to rubbing stock...I mean the stock tires aren't that much narrower...they are 215/60/16's.

Hopefully I'll be getting rid of these ugly POS wheels soon anyways, just wondering if he is having any problems with the wheels he has, since that is what I wanna put on mine.

Shawn
          99 Grand Prix GT
          K&N|No Cat/ubend/res|160 tstat|shift kit|UD ALT & WP Pulleys|XP Cam|Stage 2 I/C|Pacesetters|MPS|2.9"|Custom PCM

Comment

Nope, no problems with rubbing. I'm pretty sure I have 215's now, and the 5 spokes are 16x7 compared to the 6.5 stock as you already know. I think your car would look nice with the silver 5 spokes.

Little off topic: did you notice a difference when you took the cat off? I have a spare and I was thinking of gutting it and putting that one on. I would have to pay someone to weld it on, so in your opinion would that be worth it?

I never really thought about lowering it, wonder how it would look. Guess it's time for a photoshop...

Comment

Cutting the cat off made a HUGE difference. It was the first thing I ever did to the car...before I did it the car would barely chirp the tires. After I did it, it would smoke the tires pretty easily. Basically, the major thing it did was help the turbo spool quicker...I did feel a gain on the topend too, but you will definatley feel it on the low-end the most.

I also cut the cat out of our TGP coupe (all the same mods as my STE except it has different mufflers) and with all conditions being the same the car went from running a 15.04 one week, to a 14.819 the next week with everything the same except no cat...so needless to say, it makes a difference. That is one mod I DEFINATELY recommend to any TGP owner.

I am hoping the 5 spokes make the car look a little better, cause its pretty ugly right now. I am going to put the silver ones on and see how they look...if I don't like it I will paint them the same color as the car and see if it looks any better. I think they will look pretty good Maroon, if not Silver. I don't think it will look as badass as yours though...those look really sharp...I WANT THAT CAR!

Shawn
              99 Grand Prix GT

Comment

With no cat, doesn't it stink like hell?

Comment

Yeah and its highly toxic. Hey Greg I'm almost done with the 3400. I'll be a "Free Man" soon! Hows the T/A?
                  Lorenzo
                  '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
                  '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

245/50/16's on my cutlass and no rubbilg problems at all
                    1994 Cutlass Supreme Convertible 3.4 DOHC
                    1969 Oldsmobile 442
                    1997 Chevy Tahoe
                    http://members.cardomain.com/mperkins442

Comment

Originally posted by dykz34
                      With no cat, doesn't it stink like hell?
                      No, actually it smells exactly the same (to me anyways). Both of the TGP's and sometimes my dads GTP (he has an off-road pipe that bolts in place of the cat at the track) have no catalytic convertor and they all smell completely normal. The only time that I know of that a car smells because of the cat is when the cat is going bad it will smell like rotten eggs...but with no cat it smells the same as with one as far as I can tell. I have heard from many many people that say that it smells really bad with no cat on it, but like i have already said it smells fine to me, and most of the people I have heard this from have never removed a cat so they are just speaking from what they have heard from others.

Also, I didn't spend any money getting mine welded in. What I did was I went down to autozone and bought two of those 18" long "test pipes" (2.25" ID) and then 3 clamps. I clamped the two together, and with the exhuast removed from the car I measured the 35" or whatever it is with the two pips connected together, minus the amount they will overlap, and cut that much off the exhaust. Then I clamped in the new piece on both ends and put the exhuast back on. Took about a half hour and cost me $11 and change...and actually it is very solid...it seems to be more solid than the rest of the exhaust, so I'm not really worried about it. I would do that to make sure it is worth it to you before having something welded in there...maybe you will decide you want the cat put back on there or something...you never know.

It was the best $11 mod I have ever done...no doubt.

Shawn
                      99 Grand Prix GT

Comment

Hmm maybe I'll try the test pipe thing. It's not high on the list but maybe eventually.

Lorenzo, the TA will hopefully be running in 3 weeks. Engine and tranny are out now, and go back in the weekend after next. Good to hear the 3400 is coming along nicely. I'm gonna be in LI sometime this summer, I'll have to check it out.

Comment

Actually its done Started right up the first try I'm waiting on a heater pipe and I need to change the trans fluid and Then the car will be back on the road I'm going to get some pictures posted soon.
                          Lorenzo
                          '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
                          '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

I have heard with a gutted cat, it sounds like a tornado under the car, lol. My fix on that if your not going to crank the stereo? Put a pipe through the cat, lol.
                            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                            Originally posted by Jay Leno
                            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
                            X