Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member with a project to revive

Hi all!

Figured I should introduce myself and give a little bit of background.

I'm a California native who found a passion for cars after I bought my first car, a Toyota MR2 Spyder, in 2016. I've been teaching myself how to work on them with the help of people online and my local MR2 enthusiast group. Since then I've bought an 04' Outback H6 which needed an engine replaced, and I've replaced the engine in my girlfriend's Honda Civic. I also might swap a K24 into my MR2 because IDK I enjoy suffering I guess.

But that's not what this forum is about or why I'm here. I'm here because my newest project is a 1987 Fiero GT, but as far as California knows this car is a 91 Oldsmobile because it has a 3.4L TDC swapped into. At least, it might be a 91. It might also be a 97 crate engine. I found the build thread on Pennock's fiero forum for the car, but It's history after the initial BAR test is still unclear. The intake and valve covers are red instead of the blue in the original photos, and it has a different intake all together, so maybe the builder or a later owner did swap the motor for the newer one. I just know that I need to swap the old intake and air pump back in for smog eventually, and I really am interested in riding clean.

This is my first American car that I'm working on, and while I've been reading on Fieros and have a service manual, I don't know too much about the motor or how it plays into the rest of the car, or where to begin fixing it. I'm admittedly spoiled by the EFI and ignition systems of modern cars, so I've got some learning to do. What I do know is that they are temperamental, and need a strict maintenance schedule to be reliable. As such my first task will be to drop the engine and go over everything I can. Supposedly, they were also designed to be capable of ~50% more power which I would be excited to get to haha.

That's about where I am.

And of course, here are some pictures of my new money pit.

y4mVEHny9L6rtaNoGYH0vQanICYWuwQeutGWo5N_LTqjlJu-zZWn8XFAOy4nP4r3T2bLM2bfcQATcuWCPSyh6xRoZzTMEIXvabzrHl3leTmj82yqxc64jwwd4Jn7nVj2sHeS3hEhx3XglRAzXfp07Wo-AjEmLB8od7WkEywh_Zju4fqOPj_M8HpsYB3mo9eag9L?width=4608&height=3456&cropmode=none.jpg
    y4m35Fc3siCrZwe5u02lXgR2_jfO9zalAAPNg1B3o-ffZiJJFgLMdSscO6DF3Q8Z48P0h3nJDULmUCouynPVTrsNMiazhxIdL72Arnp-EwGvhjoNnNrVqzYkMBATLAMfoWnsmct6nAPoWFuZ_ilQvny7gnWbaNiA8VZxWFHg-WGKyWWyZPfkkJKMju2BV3qM5fW?width=4608&height=3456&cropmode=none.jpg

Nice little background! Seems like you have your head on straight. I don't have any relevant knowledge that you won't already know from a quick search on the Fiero or the LQ1 but I'm excited to watch your progression! I've always preferred the fast back to the notch and that is a nice blue you have there!
    14.63@92.9 -Full LX9 with CAI, 65MM TB, 2.5in DP, Borla Cat-Back, Crappy tires, Quick tune (Dyno Soon)

Comment

Working...
    X