No announcement yet.

next chapter in the modifications...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much does that flywheel weigh? What does the stock one weigh? Also, what are the benefits of having a lighter flywheel? (I dont understand what they do)

Comment

Well, without a flywheel, a motor would idle at very sparatic rpm.....a flywheel absorbs the highs and gives energy to the lows....basically. The heavier the flywheel, the better job it can do.....although, with more mass hanging on the end of the crank the longer it takes to increase in rpm.....so a lighter flywheel makes for a nice reving engine, but you do loose a bit of smoothness....oh well. A few other things are gained as well, better fuel economy is among them.

Friend of mine has one of those on his PGT (2.5L DOHC V6)......its funny to see it idle in cold weather with the stereo on....it doesn't know quite what to do.

That IS Woodroe's flywheel.....every one of his pics has that nice date stamp in the right lower corner. His car should be fun.
      -1996 Beretta
      3400 SFI / 4T60-E

-1991 Grand Prix SE
      3.4L DOHC / HM-284

Comment

Ya, That's geoff's pic.... The flywheel weighs in at 8 lbs? I'm not sure what a stock one weighs, but if i had to guess, it's at least twice as much...

Ya, Geoff's car should drive nice once the clutch gets working right again.... the faulty hydraulics kinda caused the nice clutch to glaze over... seemed like it had decent pickup when i drove it (with the bad hydraulics), but the clutch was slipping a little...

Cliff Scott
        89 BerettaGT
        89 Volvo740
        Cliff Scott
        89 BerettaGT
        04 AleroGX

Comment

I saw somewhere that a place claimed it increased HP to the wheels... how would it do that? The only thing I can think of is less rotating mass

Comment

yes, a lighter flywheels means more HP at the wheels, since HP is work / time and work is a revolution of the motor, the less weight it has to turn over, the faster it can rev up. A heavier flywheel means more torque at the wheels, but some HP is lost........so its a compromise
            Robby Whitesell
            2006 Pontiac G6 GT
            1985 Toyota Pickup DLX

Comment

Working...
            X